Smaller body bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by opivy3056, Jan 13, 2005.

1. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Hey whats up?
    Im a smaller guy and I play a fender jazz. When I watch the guitarist mess around on my bass he looks tiny compared to it (and he's a few inches taller than me). So when I start looking for a new bass I want something with a small body (for looks and comfort) with a neck and tone similar to my trusty jazz.

Any info?

2. AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    Take a look at an Alembic Essence if you get the opportunity, they have particularly small bodies. They also make some really nice basses in 32" scale that are relatively common on the used market at reasonable prices.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Alot of the Fender like basses(Sadowsky, etc) are downsized bodies. Not quite as large as what you have but close

4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman Sterling.

5. Doesn't explain the weight though.

Or the tone... Stupid Ryan Martinie.
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My thumb is quite light.. And it can nail the traditional jazz sound with the EMGs :cool:

Ah! And Brian! The Kazoo might be done after NAMM! WOO!
  7. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    The Spectors are both smaller and ergonomic for comfort.
  8. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish

9. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Not sure about tone, but the Schecter Stiletto line is very light, comfortable, and smaller than a Fender Jazz. If you want good tone it'll be necessary to get new pickups. I got the EMG 35Js for my Stiletto Elite-4 and it doesn't necessarily NAIL the Fender Jazz tone, but it's very good. Might be worth a look since they resale very cheaply on Ebay all the time.

10. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    if you're handy at all, you can get a warmoth dinky j body and just put all your jazz bass parts on it--smaller body, same familiar neck. My friend had a dinky j warmoth parts bass and it was very nice.
  11. Artisan

Apr 14, 2004

If you want to see just how small a good sounding bass can get, blow $110 on a Rondo Music SX shortscale Jazz Bass clone.

Seriously, this 30" scale bass (normal short scale) is a lark to play and it is actually smaller than a Stratocaster (the body is). Not only that, but it sounds really good for traditional bass parts.
  12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    The MTD Kingston (and Heirs) have quite small bodies
  13. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    +1 :bassist:
  14. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    If you're after a Jazz Style body, then the Pedulla Rapture has a 2/3's Jazz size body :)
  15. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    I know cort curbows are light and have a small body.But i dont think they are good for Jazz.
  16. dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Why not stay with Fender and try the American Deluxe Jazz? You get a smaller body, same neck but with 22 frets. I have an ash bodied model and it has a superb sound and action. If you want to get a bit more exotic, try the Victor Bailey Jazz. Same size and electrics, exotic koa wood top and a slightly thinner neck (at least mine feels as if it has - I haven't measured it).

If you want to stay passive, try the G&L JB-2. This has roughly the same size body as the American Deluxe (but no offset), a jazz-style neck, is finished to perfection, and has loads of character from its pickups.

I would be happy with any one of the above as my main bass, although I suppose the VB wins out overall by a small margin IMHO (thanks, eBay!).
  17. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm selling a Fender that may suit your needs. PM sent.
  18. Music man Sterling or Lakland Darryl Jones...Both are really great and different...