1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Smaller bridge cover suggestions???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wmhill, Mar 23, 2018.

1. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I'm doing a "dress-up" project on one of my MTD Saratoga 4 (Kingston series), and am looking for a bridge cover (chrome). I bought a standard Jazz style one, and it just doesn't fit right. The "wing"on the bass side hangs over the body contour, and looks bad, really bad. I couldn't seem to get a picture that showed it the greatest. The bridge is 3.5" wide, and .not a heavy or high mass style. I'm wondering if the telecaster P/bass bridge cover might have a smaller footprint.... does any one know, or have any other suggestions? The P/tele cover flares in the opposite direction and looks like it should fit, but I hate to keep purchasing covers just to see if they fit. Thanks in advance.

bridge cover ashtray 20180323_201009 (2).

bridge cover .JPG

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No, the closed back P cover won't fit any better. The difference you are seeing is an illusion. The J cover is longer and gets wider at the front to cover the bridge pickup. The back of the J cover is so close to the size of a P cover, they may as well be the same dimension. You might investigate a Telecaster cover, the one that is open in the back; there are two different ways you may be able to get one to fit. Since there is no back on it, you can slide the cover toward the neck some. Many people put those covers on backwards too and with the body flanges tapering toward the front, if you mount it backwards these flanges taper to almost nothing and will give you some extra room as well. The Tele cover has the added benefit of not having to be removed for some string changes.
    vvsel3tmf7uumwptkr3u.
    Here is a picture of one mounted backwards:
    Fender72TeleBassBld353190_11.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    wmhill likes this.