Smaller cases for smaller racks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Does anyone make a smaller style rack case for the new smaller sized components? Seems kind of foolish to have all small components in a full sized rack.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you mean narrower, there's no other standard besides the 19" width of a full sized rack AFAIK.
  3. As Far As I Know (AFAIK)

If you are refering to the depth (front to back) of the case. Many mfgrs are building them. They are usually branded as effect racks and are normally about 7-10 inches in depth.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm pretty happy with my little rack...

its about 19" deep.

most if not all racks are 19" wide. But, depth wise, you can find shallower racks, like SKB's Xrack which is 10" deep, but i doubt you'd find a powerful enough power amp in that depth.

Stewart does make the World 250 which is less than 9", but it only puts out 250 watts @ 4 ohms. QSC does the PLX but that's at least 13".
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Make your own...

You can get rack rails from an on-line supplier or locally at a Mars store (probably others too).

Make a plywood box, cover it with carpet/tolex/paint/etc bolt the rails to it with carriage bolts and locking nuts, add a handle (mounted with machine screws and Tee nuts), install corners and be done with it. All of the items not available at your local hardware store are available from Parts Express...
  6. Racks are always 19" in width, and most used values for dept is 38cm, 40cm or 50cm

then there's the height.. mostly you can chose from

2u, 4u, 6u, 8u, 10u, 12u, etc,etc

they're mostly in the power of 2.. i've never seen a 3u rack before tho..
  7. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    ARGH! Don't switch between Metric and Stupid measurement systems in the middle of a post!
  8. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Oh yeah, there are rackmount bags as opposed to cases. Protec bags are 14" deep, Odyssey's range from 8" to 15", and some Warwick Rockbags are 14".