Smaller Combo as an external speaker for my TNT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oni5000, Dec 4, 2003.

1. oni5000

Nov 25, 2003
    I've got a Peavey TNT115 and a Peavey Minx110. The TNT is 150W/200W with an external speaker and the Minx is 35W. I plugged in the external speaker output from my TNT to my Minx and set the all the minx controls down to 0 and put the gain on the Minx up to 1 (it has gain, low, mid, high).

It seemed to add a lot of mid range depth to the sound. Has anyone tried something like this? Am I risking messing up my equipment at all?

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I had a similar question. Mine was using the pre-amp out on a small amp directly to the PA. If I were you, I would use the pre-amp out on the minx into an input on the TNT. Using an external speaker output will probably cause impedence problems and at least cause a great deal of hiss at high volumes. What is your ultimate objective??
  3. oni5000

Nov 25, 2003
    The minx doesn't have a pre-amp out. It's got input, post-eq-effect loop out and in, headphone jack and an external speaker jack.

The TNT has input, lineout, post-eq-effect loop out and in, headphone jack and external speaker jack.

Right now it is setup like this:

Bass->Input on TNT->Speaker Out of TNT->Input of Minx.

I'd say my objective is to get more power and better sound.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sounds risky. I would be afraid of using the speaker out as an input to another amp.

I have used the tuner out on my swr 4004 as an input to my PVY tnt. Works good. I only have a 2x10 cab and it allows me to get a 15 int the mix.

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't think you can get more power b/c the amps will be running parallel. You will get the TNT's full power and the minx will just be buried within those watts. But, you can use the out part of the loop on the minx to go into the TNT. That may make you sound a little bigger by adding the 10" speaker to the sound. I didn't know you could use the out on an effects loop for this, but it was answered in a post yesterday. I still would use a speaker out into the input of an amp. The speaker out uses an unshielded cable and the amp input needs a sheilded cable. I hope this helps.
  6. oni5000

Nov 25, 2003
    Hmm. So I can use the effect loop out as an input on another amp?

I'll give that a try.
  7. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It sounds risky to me to be running the external speaker output into a mini combo amp. The head of the combo is used to recieving bass level signals and then amplifying it to speaker driving signals, but you are feeding it speaker driving signals to start.