1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smaller Option to NV412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adivin, May 1, 2010.

1. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    The Berg NV412 may be a bit much for my three piece band. I was wondering what cab has the same vibe in a smaller package? Does the NV412 have to be pushed hard to deliver or does it sound just as good at moderate volumes?

aj

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I think you're in the wrong forum!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You mean like a 212? or something? Those NV cabs are awesome, and garner lots of love around here, but a 412 would be too big for me, too. I have a 215 that hasn't been outside the house in over a year. Currently, my 212 of choice is a Genz Benz Uber 212. Check out the Ubers, you may be impressed. I was, still am.

4. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I checked them out but they are front ported cabs, not a sealed cab like the NV. I wouldn't expect it to sound similar, but haven't had a chance to hear either. Closest Berg dealer is 8 hours away at best. The goofy thing is it seems a 212 may be harder to move than a 412 that leans back and rolls. With a 412, I'll be the guy with a hand grenade at the knife fight. :eyebrow:

Just wanted to know if I smaller cab delivers the mojo like a NV 412 is said to?

5. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Is it the cab size and weight that you object to or do you think it is too much "cab for the job?. It sounds good at all volumes to my ear.

6. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I think it's too much cab for the job although I am presently using a 410.

7. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    in theory, a 4x12 shouldn't be that much louder than a 4x10. you're really only adding 8 inches of speaker surface. my nv610 sounds just fine at low volumes too. i wouldn't worry about the "grenade to a knife fight" thing. no matter what, that nv412 will look great on stage and your tone likely won't suffer at all

8. No, you are adding 8 inches of speaker radius/diameter. Not sure what they are measured in. The WHOLE SURFACE AREA of a speaker is much, much more than it's radius/diameter/whatever they use when they say 8,10,12 etc

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I believe he's correct. You have to measure surface area, or area of a circle. I think if you use the 3.14(Radius)Squared x Amount of Speakers, you should see that the surface area of a 4x12 is actually closer to a 6x10.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The NV412 is the smallest 412 of all the big hitters (Mesa, Aguilar, G-K, etc..) already! :p

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the Schroeder BMF 412 is lighter, but that's about it.

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Ahh, good call- but even then it's not really a ton smaller! I'm repeatedly surprised about how compact and tight these are for being 412/610/215 cabs.

13. JFLbass

JFLbass

Mar 3, 2010
    Montreal
    My touring rig is the NV412. My clubs rig is two old EX112!! I'm using my Demeter/Crest head on both and never change the EQ! Just plug and play! I Found them similar in tone and feel. For sure the 412 move a lot of air and have bigger lows!!! Any way, why you don't go with two Berg EX112ER ???

14. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Area of circle is equal to pi(r)(r). Aka pi r squared (can't figure out how to get the symbols I need out of this keyboard.

A 4x10's speaker area = (4)(3.14)(5)(5)=100(3.14) sq.inches= 314 sq inches.

4x12= 4(3.14)(6)(6)= 144(3.14) sq inches= 452.16 sq inches

452-314= 138/314= .439 x 100%= Just about 44 % more speaker surface area in the 4x12 over the 4x10.