1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

smaller rigs beckon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Howdy, my band is getting to the point where we're beginning to play more and more out of town gigs (which is a GREAT thing :hyper:), but my 610 isn't exactly grab-n-go... and for a lot of stages we play it's not entirely necessary. I'm not looking to replace anything, but it'd sure be nice to have something smaller for situations that don't require the big guns.

A little background: my current rig is an Ashdown ABM 500 into an LDS sealed 610, and I mainly play a Peavey T-40 with a pick through it. Overall result: gritty, grindy SVTish tone but with perhaps some more articulation. I like a little bit of Chris Squier in my tone, but overall I think my sound is a bit more rounded, and not especially harsh. The music i'm playing is indie pop with an old fashioned feel, if that makes sense. Listen to the live track "walking sleep" for an example: www.myspace.com/theflyingtourbillon , but keep in mind that tone was through the radio station's Ampeg B-100r rocket with no time to tweak settings (cool amp nonetheless).

I'm not necessarily looking for specific cab advice (ie. "dude, you need bergantino, avatar, etc!"), but more like... general advice. I've done a number of searches, and have gleaned a good amount of useful knowledge, but what I'm still not sure about is how small of a cab can realistically work for what I'm trying to do. My guitarists have both downsized their amps recently (AC-30 became a boutique AC-15, and a 4x10 bassman type amp is gonna become a 1x12 fender deluxe or something similar), but obviously those aren't quiet amps by any means. I'm not too concerned with keeping the exact same tone my 610 gets, i just want to sound good. I can appreciate the sound I get through a 115 (so long as I adjust my EQ adequately!), but I've never played bass through 12" speakers, and I've never tried a 210... I'm just wondering what direction you would lean towards if you were in my shoes. THANKS IN ADVANCE, as always!

2. Here's what I'm using, a Carvin BX1200 head running at 4ohms bridged into a Carvin BRX10.4 Neo cab at 1200 watts rms. The head weighs 32 lbs and the cab 76 lbs., doesn't take up hardly any space and sounds super.;)
    102_0028.

3. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    and that's grab and go?

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I get away with two 1x12 cabs. But I usually play with guitarists who keep the volume at an appropriate level.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Grab 'n Go?

Amp wise it would without a doubt be a LMII (or perhaps the new GK micro).

Cab... UL310.

Depending on your tone goals, you cant get much more grab 'n go than that, and still have loads of volume as well as portability.

6. Or you can go for a 210 and a 410, which gives you a flexible solution for almost any situation! I don't know the specs of your head, but if it is a 4 ohm head then those cabs would both be 8 ohmers ...

just my 0.02 :)

7. I've done the 2x10 micro stuff and it simply doesn't cut for me. Doesn't push enough air, of coarse, my band isn't your band so I don't know what you would consider grab and go, but this for me is pretty much grab and go.:smug:

8. You might look into a 2x12 or a 2x10. I'm doing a similar thing as you (rig for sale in sig) but my rig is already smaller than yours. I'm going with 2 1x12 cabs with hopes that I can get away with one 12 most of the time. I'll be using a LMII, which may not be your tone... Your Ashdown should be able to work with whatever you get though.

My goal is to be able to carry my amp and both basses in a double gig bag on my shoulder with all my cables/tuner, and one cab in each hand. No more multiple trips for me.

9. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Additional info: my ashdown is only 30 or so lbs, so that's not an issue for me. And I used the term grab-n-go kinda casually, I mean, I'm not doing solo jazz gigs or anything like that, so I don't necessarily need that absolute smallest and lightest thing in the world. I guess I'm really just wondering how small you can go before you really start to sacrifice tone. (I've seen the "rule of three" tossed around here quite a bit, after all.)

EDIT: to even further illustrate what I'm saying... my 610 weighs about 110-115 lbs and takes up my whole back seat. I'd be happy with something that weighs maybe 75 lbs and fits in my trunk. :) Weight isn't my main concern, but i would like something a bit smaller.

10. two 1x12" cabs - such as Aguilar GS112's or DB112's would sound GREAT & are pretty light, whilst being very capable of cutting thru in a band setting.

11. Are you expecting to have PA support at most of your gigs? And what sort of budget are you looking at?

If I were in your shoes I'd keep my 'God' rig and get a cheap but ballsy traveller- Like a used Trace Elliott 15" combo - cheap, reliable and LOUD.

I'm diggin your tunes on the Myspace BTW. Great stuff.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I play through a Bergantino 610 and a Schroeder 1210L. I used to use the Bergy for every gig, then when I got the Schroeder only used it for larger ones. Now I don't bother hauling it to anything really and just take the Schroeder whilst the Bergie is my bedroom amp (it WAS meant to be the other way around).

Previous rig was an SWR 2x10 and 1x15 which was a great rig as well and could do anything plus had a full sound, pretty easy to haul, but in all honesty unless there's HEAPS of stairs my Bergie is easier as it just wheels around and you don't have to actually carry anything.

I haven't played through too many small cabs to compare, but my 1210L is definitely capable of covering, well, anything really AND i can carry it with one hand. I don't play quiet either (it's hooked up to a Trace V8, 400 watt all tube). There's a link to an mp3 in my sig, it's all dirty though that track, no clean. It'll definitely do gritty grindy stuff.

13. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I just picked up a DB112NT to use in the house for a sweet tone practice rig, and I'm now planning to replace my big rig with a pair of these. I can't believe how much volume and wonderful tone I get from this speaker. My main big rig is a 2x12 + 2x10 from Avatar, and whilst I DO love it, I think that a pair of these (or one with a tweeter as well) would just be a KILLER rig. I don't see any problem getting a pair into a sedan's trunk. They're definitely not crazy light, but certainly a nice portal option for you.

14. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    My Genz NEOx212 I think is a perfect grab and go. It is a 4 ohm 600 watt 212 that weighs about 50 pounds but doesn't remotely feel like it. For a more modular approach dual 112's do a great job as well.

15. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I know others have suggested it but I will, too: go with multiple smaller bits rather than one or two larger ones. This is definitely the way I'm going to do it if I ever start buying again.

16. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    We usually have PA support, but I've learned not to depend on it. The last few smaller shows didn't have PA support, so i'd need to be loud enough to project into a bar/coffeehouse/radio station or wherever else we find ourselves.

I'm not sure on the budget yet. I should have some cash coming in soon and if need be I've got a MIM jazz I never play, which could be unloaded. Either way I think I'd rather consider everything (within reason, at least) and worry about how to pay for it later. :)

And thanks! Glad you like the myspace stuff... that live track was recorded right after we wrote the song, and there are definitely some flubs (our female singer even forgot the lyrics :scowl:;)), but I like the direction our songs are going in... especially since I've been given a lot more leeway to take the lead, as evidenced on that track.

17. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    I'll second the NEOx212. It's plenty loud, and it doesn't even feel like 50 pounds.

18. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    oooh, got another question for all you knowledgeable chaps: with these smaller tweeter equipped cabs, how do you deal with the tweeter? Before my current cabinet I had a GK 410 w/ a tweeter, and my natural overdriven tone sounded pretty terrible through it, nevermind when i kick in my OD pedal... I always kept the L-pad turned way down.

But... I assume when running into a small cab you'd need to be pumping a lot of juice into it to get a reasonable amount of volume. If I were to turn down the tweeter, wouldn't that generate an unsafe level of heat? Or am I wrong in assuming a tweeter/horn won't work for overdrive?

19. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I'm listening to your music on Myspace now. Nice stuff!! It doesn't sound like your tone requires much deep bass at all, that's probably why that Ampeg amp sounded good to you. SVTs roll off bass at 80Hz. With a little tube overdrive, your ear fills in the lower frequencies for you. In a pop setting this gives your band that clean punchy sound that sounds good on a cheap radio or on a good system (they used to call it radio friendly).

I'll bet your LDS 6X10 does the same thing. You might want to try a Bag Eng 1X15, Euphonic Audio Whizzy or Schroeder cabinet. These all roll off the low end, but have plenty of midbass and High SPL.

20. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    ... or use 2 cabs if you need to get loud!!

Terry017.