1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smaller that wt550 with more power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by woody357, Oct 28, 2018.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Good morning. I’m looking for a amp that has a similar sound but more powersnd and smaller than the Eden WT550. I’m open to suggestions

2. What do you have for speakers?
    How many cabs?
    Power rating if each cab?
    Impedance of each cab?

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

for less money than the wt550, right? :laugh:

McFarlin likes this.
  4. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I know I’m going to spend somewhere around $700-$1000

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What does your amp sound like? What is it that you like?

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

maybe a used eden WTP900.

7. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Cab is a Epifani ps410 4 ohms handles 800 watts
    I’d like something that can handle a 2 ohm load but I’ll settle for just 4 ohms

8. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    It sounds great hahahahaha, lots of punch, or whatever I need. It’s a very musical head. Hey it’s a Eden hahaha

9. If you’re happy with your current setup, you could be headed in the wrong direction. Changing amps to go from 4 Ohm capable to 2 Ohm capable often does not get you any more power. It would allow you to add another 4 Ohm cab if that’s where you’re headed. And if it did get you more power it would be insignificant in the increase in loudness.

OK, you want a smaller amp. Will you keep your 550 in case you don’t like the new one?
    Personally, if I were as happy with my setup as you seem to be, I’d put up with the size of the amp you have.
    It’s not like you have to schlep around 60 lbs of amp or anything.
    And going significantly smaller may mean losing the tube in the 550’s preamp, and possibly the sound you already like.

Are there any other reasons that might figure into wanting a different amp?

matt11 likes this.
  10. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I have a GB 6.2, as a backup, but it’s a weak 600 watts imho. As far as the 2ohm load it’s because the Eden can handle it and I like that for when I need to Frankenstein my amp. I’d like a little more wattage for more head room. I did a gig this weekend and loved my sound and presence but felt with the amp half way up I should have been louder. The wt550 is only about 500 watts in 4 ohms.

11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Higher wattage may not actually get you more volume. It may be cleaner, but that doesn’t mean you’ll be able to get louder.
    Your cab has limits, too.
    The quickest way to more volume is another cab.

Jewce, InhumanResource and Munjibunga like this.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Your cabinet is not all that efficient, so that should be factored into the decision imo.

If you like the tone of the Shuttle 6.2, have you considered trying the 9.2 version? 900 watts RMS into 4 ohms, I would recommend using some caution though.

woody357 likes this.
  13. OK. It seems to me that you are getting away from the technical issues and more into how you feel.
    Technically, there is no such thing as “weak 600 watts.” It’s 600 watts or it usn’t 600 watts. If it sounds weak, there is something else at the root cause of that. The voicing if the amp, the EQ settings, the way the amp was tested for power... who knows for sure?

There is no correlation between output power and knob settings. An amp may be at full output with a knob at half-way due to other considerations.

I feel that I should bow out at this point. Because of my inability to process your experiences beyond the purely technical. Others may be better suited to have this discussion with you. I feel that I’m not up to the task.
    I do wish you the best though in finding that which you seek.

pht2356 likes this.
  14. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I did think about that, or trying the Genzler 800, I’ve heard good things about it.

BrentSimons likes this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The solution is simple.

Your amp sounded amazing halfway up but should have been louder.

Turn it three quarters of the way up and enjoy.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    pcake, pht2356, Rapisme and 5 others like this.
  16. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I get what youre saying but since some companies use conservative ratings while some others use optimistic ratings, I get what he meant by "weak 600 watts".
    Some examples...
    My SVT4Pro was laughably weak for a claimed 1000watts
    My Aguilar TH500 was as expected for a claimed 500 watts
    My Trace SMX was massive for a claimed 280 watts

and yes... I understand total speaker area and bridging and sensitivity and ohms and rooms and the mix and the rate of total volume increase in relation to wattage. At the end of the day, some heads just have more stones than others despite a fair gap in claimed power.

17. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Hi Woody357,

Take a look at the DNA-800. It has 800 watts @ 4ohms instead of the 550-watts the WT550 does at 4 ohms. It weighs all of about 4.8-lbs and has most of the features of its big brother the DNA-1350 which is about twice the price. Has a lot of features, and below is a review of the DNA-800 features by Bass Musician Magazine. I've queued it up so you don't have to go through the part about the speaker cabs. The sound is superb, clear and full. It also has a very nice adjustable compressor. It was designed and is produced by David Nordschow, who also designed the WT550 for Eden before he sold the company. Street price is ~$799

Here's a link to the info at DNA:
    Amps Archive - David Nordschow Amplification

And this is the video review, which is quite good:

18. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Lol. My thoughts exactly.

19. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    On many of the amps I have designed, the controls operate more linearly and because of this, knob position may not have the same meaning or extrapolation as on amps where all of the gain is in the first 1/2 of the control's rotation.

Another point that is often overlooked (even though it's addressed in the owner's manual and has been explained numerous times here on TB) is that the output LIMIT LED does not indicate power amplifier clipping but reflects that the output power tube emulation circuitry (3DPM circuit in the case of the Shuttle 6.2 and 9.2) is beginning to operate. This LED can be on for as much as 25% of the time without any ill effects and does not indicate that the amp has run out of power.

20. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I’m not looking for more volume and I sure don’t want to carry
    THANK YOU!!!!!

MordBass likes this.