Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smallest amp with the best sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tigerv8, Jul 11, 2004.

1. tigerv8

tigerv8 Guest

Jul 9, 2004
    I'm after 20 years I'm gonna start gigging again but things have changes a lot since then. The last amp I used on stage was a 360 Acoustic. I want something that will fit in my car and not break my back. The smaller the better but with great sound. Any suggestions? thanks. jc :help:

2. basmeisje

basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    SWR Baby Baby Blue, just bought one few weeks ago, awsome, better then the EBS drome. 39 lbs, small, 10'' with horn. 160 watts and a lot of backside features to extend it.

BottomBassGirl Yvette.

3. baby blue was the first thing to come to my head too

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  5. wow...that thing looks incredible!!! pricey, but incredible! I'd love to have one to play my ergo through (once I get it next month that is)

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have heard a few good things about the phil jones "briefcase"...

7. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The Focus can be had for $1179 inc shipping. The Berg runs $539. Yes a little pricey, but well worth it!
    :bassist:

8. Bob The upright guy...has one on ebay right now for 579!....hmmmm tempting but I'm gonna get the new Traynor YBA200 instead....for now ;)

9. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    That's the Acoustic Image Clarus which is 120 watts @ 8 ohms, 200 @ 4 ohms. A good amp also, but still not enough power.

10. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    If you want the best amp for the money check out the GK 1001RB-II. It weighs only 18 lbs and puts out 700 watts. They are only $630 inc shipping from Rik's Music and for another $50 you can get the GK carrying bag for it. That also sounds great with a Berg HT112.

www.riksmusic.com

11. Roland DB500, definitely a compact power package. :D

12. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I've always like the sound of the Hartke B90.

13. The Gallien-Krueger 700RB is a great sounding amp.

The rehearsal studio we practice at uses them in every sound room. They have 'em driving a GK 4x10RBH.

The 700 head is about 15 lbs. It sounds great and I think they're only $500 new.

At home and live, I use an Ampeg SVT Classic. Probably one of the heaviest amp heads around...82lbs. They're beautiful, but I don't think it's what you have in mind. :p

I don't own one, but give GK a shot. They're good amps.

-Chris

14. I'd recomend going to with a head and a pair of 1X12 cabinets.

also check out the stuff made by Euphonic Audio: http://www.euphonicaudio.com

the iAMP 800 combo is amazing, but I would still get the head alone and pair that up with a Bergantino, Epifani or one of the Euphonic Audio cabinets.

15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Walter Woods Ultra. 7 pounds and 1200 watts. Can't beat that.

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Mesa walkabout scout.

17. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Since I've gone all Euphonic I have found the perfect rig, at least for my purooses.

:iamp800 - 19 lbs, stellar tone, 800 watts@4ohm. 500w@8.
    :CXL112- 43 lb, fabulous clear, punchy tone. Perfect for small to medium size rooms
    : another CXL112- same tone for large venues.

I play electric 5 string and upright and there isn't any gig I can't do with this rig.

18. Check out the Roland Bass Cube30. It's a powerful piece of kit in a small package, with a good range of tones.

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, tiger, could you give us an idea of the size of the venues you'll be playing? You should keep that in mind too.

As for combos, check out the Gallien Krueger MB150S-112 Micro-Bass Combo.