Smallest Bass cab ever?(2x4")

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ian Hall, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Made this sunday night due to extreme boredom. Used a couple of 4" woofers out of some high end bookshelf speakers that had burnt tweeters. The construction is kinda cheesy- epoxy for all of the joints(no mechanical fasteners), and PVC for the port tubes, no terminal plate in the back(hole drilled with wire sealed by epoxy). Im guessing that it's tuned around 80 hz- I nearly copied the original port volume, and the box is pretty close too. I didn't have any specs on the drivers, so I just had to fudge it.

Surprise- it actually didn't end up sounding that bad. Obviously it doesn't do squat with the B string, but it does barely manage to fart out a little bit of the E. Anything higher than that it actually sounds pretty good. I was playing a few melodies with chorus last night quite loudly without breakup. It does a fine job as a practice cab on my dresser.

The impedance of each driver is 4 ohms, so I wired them in series, and ran them off of one channel of my PLX1602(300watts RMS @ 8 ohms) and had no sign of heat from the front of the cone or coming off of the magnet after an hour of playing, so obviously the oversized motor structure on these little guys isn't there just for looks. Eventually I think I'll buy an eight and build a simple crossover for a little more lows.
  2. that thing is cute!!!!!

so, gonna 'beef it up' with an 8" sub? cool... show pics of that too.

3. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    LOL... the can of Pepsi is taller than one of the speakers! It is so adorable!

But is it a combo, or what?
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow, now you just need to get a little tiny bass to go along with it. How about an Ashbory? Yeah....
    You need to hire a midget roadie to carry this around though.

brad cook
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Gabu made something like that about a year ago.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    that is the cutest cab i've ever seen. I can't wait to see the subwoofer you make for it
  7. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    I'm thinking about getting a matching kevlar cone eight- and then I can make a matching box and have a full stack.

Something about using "eight" and "subwoofer" in the same sentence just doesn't sound quite right. Guess that's the right description in this case.

If I really have trouble finding a date for the next couple of weekends, I may be forced to build a little head to go with. Ah, the possibilities.

Gabu, I'm interested in seeing a pic of your mini-cab- or if any one knows the thread point me to it please.
  8. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    4" speakers...
    guitarists have their marshall mini-stacks.....

wouldn't it be fun to build an 8x4" and power it with one of the new Ampeg Portabass heads?

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    What does it look like with an SVT sitting on top of it?
  10. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    That cabinet, coupled with your upcoming massive 8" subwoofer cabinet and an AI Clarus head would be about as small as one can get (and still function).
  11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i bought one of those smokies because i am an avid smoker and i thought it was funny. little known fact is that somehow it will push a 4x12 cabinet!!!!! and doesnt sound half bad. they used a bunch of em on one of the more recent REM albums.
  12. a pancake.
  13. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Good luck finding a date, maybe then she could just give you some instead. ;)
  14. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    :D thats a knee slapper.
  15. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002

I think that I subconciously set myself up for a crack there. Good thing I said "build" instead of "buy"- you guys may have run wild with that one.
  16. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I ran a pair of Bose 901s with a tube amp. they sounded pretty good. But as you know....
    If there ain't no lows, it's got to be Bose.