1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Smallest combo w/ line out for P.A.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soloman61, May 10, 2006.

1. I've searched and searched - found that older Fender Bassman 25's have this feature. Anything else? Amp will be used as a monitor with line to P.A. Relatively inexpensive say under $150.

2. I've also found that the SWR LA-10 has a line out/tuner out that can connect to a board. I suppose a used one can be had for under $150.

Anything else?

Can a Peavey Minx be connected to a P.A. board via the effects out line?

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You're going to have a tough time finding something decent for under $150. The Fender Bassman 100 and 150 would be good choices. Tilt back, DI out, etc.

4. I realize. I just need a small practice amp that can also be used as a monitor then plugged into the PA or mixer board.

I also found that Ibanez SW35, Hartke B300, and Behringer BX600 may work. Anyone have any experience in using these amps or the ones mentioned above in this type of application?

5. I used to own one of those Peaveys, and I was impressed at how well it performed. At least until the power transformer dumped on it. :/

I guess the line out would work, but I can't seem to remember where the signal is taken from the chain. If it's pre eq (all 3 bands of it), you may really not like what's being sent to the board.

Edit:
    The bassman mentioned above would probably be a better investment, but I will say again, I loved my little Minx.

6. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Hey I use a SWR 12" 160 watt and I use it live on stage when I am going in to the FOH and monitors and it is fine - you can get them used for about $250. Plenty of power for a practice amp too.

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I used to have an Ibanez SW65 (65 watt)that I used as a monitor at church. It worked pretty well for that. I used the unbalanced 1/4" out to a direct box and then to the Mackie board. It also had an effects loop that worked well. Tone wasn't bad for such an inexpensive amp.

It wasn't enough for outside jams with a drummer though. Even with PA support in the monitors I could barely hear what was comming out of my amp. I had to rely on the monitors to hear myself.

They go for $200-$220.00 new and the SW35's can he had for around $135.00. If you negotiate well at a GC you can get them for less.

8. Ampeg BA-110 has a line out, but they are discontinued, IIRC. Decent sounding amp, though doesn't offer a lot of volume (which probably isn't a huge concern for you). Can probably be found for around 200 bucks or so.

9. Thanks. I am still trying to decide. I have a 300w GK head and cab for the outdoor gigs. Local music store has a soundwave SW35 - so that is an option. I'll probably lurk on evil-bay a while.

10. I just consulted the manual for my old minx - mine has both preout/poweramp in jack and a headphone jack. It appears from the manual that the preamp out is post all preamp functions an works like a standard single ended FX loop on a TRS jack - 1 volt levels approx 600 ohm in and out impedence per the manual.

Peace,
    S

11. Go with a DI instead for that kind of money. If you spent a little more you could get a Workingman's 10. Musicians friend was clearing them out for $200.

12. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Any objections to just getting any amp you want AND a DI box?

13. That is something to think about. School me on D.I. boxes. I suppose you mean something like Sansamp?

Me a noob. In the meanwhile. I'll do some research on D.I. Boxes.

14. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Yes, a sansamp is a DI, but it also functions as a preamp. There are some very simple DI's that will run you less than $20. I bring one to every gig, just to make the soundman happy, unless he insists on using his own DI. Search any number of online music stores and you're bound to find a cheap DI.

15. I believe I am going to try a Whirlwind IMP-2. They seem to have good reviews here.

16. So, they beat me to it. The other option for under $200 is a good used rackmount preamp (well, okay, decent used preamp for that price). That will allow you to send a great signal to the board. At my church gig (900 people x 3 services), I just use my SWR Grand Prix preamp and send a post e.q. signal to the board. We use in-ear monitors. Our house engineer sets my channel on the board flat and all the e.q.'ing comes from my preamp. He says it really cuts through the mix - far better than the sansamp I used to use.

Plus, the power amp is in a separate rack, so I only have to lug it around if I actually need it. Most of the time, I just go direct to the house.

17. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I've just started looking into the Orange Crush 35b. It has a line out as well as a headphone jack for $200

18. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i would aslo suggest to get a d.i. thingy. if you go the cheap amp way,, the sound of the cheap amp will colour your signal and inevitably make you sound bad, even with the best p.a. with a d.i. yo make sure a good isgnal gets to the mixer. i'm sure you can split your signal somewhere so you can still hook up a small amp for you to use as a monitor.

19. I picked a Groove Tubes Passive DI Box at GC (sold there exclusively). I'll try it out tonight and give a report. From what I can tell, it is solidly built. Read about it here -

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2106

I can loop out to any cheap combo amp to use as a monitor, but I should be able to hear myself in our floor monitors.

Thanks for all the advice.