Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smallest Gig Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SBassman, Dec 27, 2005.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I hope this hasn't been covered recently.

I thought I'd start a thread on:
    what's your smallest usable gig rig.

I Used to be able to get away with a 15" combo in my last band for Some small gigs, but in the current band, it wouldn't be close to cutting it. My current rig is:
    - Behringer 1x15 cab
    - Behringer 2x10 cab
    - Behringer 300 watt head
    - Hartke 300 watt head

To tell you the truth, the band is Always telling me to turn up.
    I can push my equipment to clipping, and they Still want more volume.

Either my equipment is damaged, or my bandmates are crazy.
    Actually, they're not. With all that power, the total volume I get is disappointing to me, too.

What's your minimum gig-worthy rig?

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    How do you have your rig setup?

Lugging around 2 cabs AND 2 heads sounds like there is a lack of efficiency in there somewhere...

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Nothing special.

I do take the out of one into the second.

Only other part of the chain is a DI.

4. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

WHOA!

What?

You're running from the output of one AMP into the input of another AMP?

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yes - not the speaker out, but line out.

6. You may actually get more power by running both your cabs out of your most powerful (i.e., loudest sounding) head. Assuming each cab is 8ohms, you are only using a portion of the rated power of each head. If you run both cabs using the same head, you might pick up a little more punch and save carrying that extra piece of gear.

Also, as many have stated on this site, published wattage of amp heads is not always very accurate, and your speaker sensitivity has a lot do do with volume also.

7. Ampeg BA112. I carry that in one hand and my bass/case with tuner and strap in the other hand. I love small gigs that pay well.

8. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ah ok.

:cool:

I don't think you're actually going to be gaining much by running two heads on 8 ohms loads as compared to running 1 head down to 4 ohms. (This is assuming both cabinets are 8ohm)

Aside from that I'd look into new cabs maybe...more speakers or higher sensitivity...you should have enough power in one of the amps alone.

Or the band could try turning down ;)

For reference, in a previous rig I ran a hartke 3500 into a hartke 210xl. It was adaquate Vs drummer and two half-stacks in my hard rock band(see below).

My new mini-rig is in construction. Mesa Walkabout in Mini12+ airhead :D

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    How loud do you think you are? Does your rig sound like it should keep up.

The number of cabs and number of amps has little to actually do with whether you can keep up... it depends on the whole gig picture, in context.

If your cabs are 8 ohms and you're running one amp per cab you're probably not putting much power into them. What's the Behringer's rated power into 4 ohms. The Hartke's?

The biggest rig I use.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1908

1-15, 1-2 with tweeter, relatively tiny cabs. 8 ohms each, driven at 4 ohms with a 420w amp (Amplified Music Products or Thunderfunk). My small rig is a coax Bag End 1-15 (8 ohms) with the same amps.

10. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    The smallest gig rig I've seen and heard was a wireless unit into a sansamp di. into the P.A.
    My own rig however is a 10lb. Yamaha bbt500h (500watts) into 2 wizzy 112's (4 ohms ea.=2ohms)for a total package of 70 lb.'s. I d.o. to the pa. also. In that regard I could use one cab but I don't want it looking to smallish.
    I did use my Carvin pb200 combo for a while with a line out.

11. Dude, give us a report on that one when it comes in. Thats the exact setup I was curious about.

Dave

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    My smallest rig for say a nursing home gig, Jazz Sextet, is an AI Focus and a GK MicroBass 12" cab. Total weight of entire rig = 17lbs.

For the louder gigs I'll use the same Focus Head and either a 8ohm Flite 15 inch, a 4ohm Epifani UL210 or two 8 ohm Ampeg Portabass 12's.

13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I hope to have a pic soon. My one and only rig is:

Boss TU-2
    Boss CEB-3
    SansAmp Programmable BDDI
    AI Focus SA III Power Amp
    Bergantino H112

About 45 pounds total. The pedals, BDDI and Focus fit in my briefcase.

14. This is my smallest rig that I use for gigs. The amazing thing is, it's loud and punchy enough for a moderate sized pop gig... amazing! Swapping the Focus for the TF550, which is just a little larger and heavier, and it's loud and punchy enough for almost any gig.

[​IMG]

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Thanks, everyone, for all the great input.

I'm going to try pulling the Hartke out and seeing how it sounds. [The Behringer 300 watt head is Way louder than my Hartke HA3000. The Hartke sounds very good, IMHO, but it has a been a disappointment power wise.]

16. Cool! Let us know how it turns out. Also... make sure that both cabs are 8ohms so that you don't get into low impedence issues with your amp.

17. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    This kind of turned into a who has the smallest rig thread.

If you are having problems being heard, you might want to try turning the bass knob on the amp down a little and cranking up the mids to help you cut through.
    Are you running any effects that are making your sound muddy? Maybe your volume is fine but you guitar player has too much bass in his sound and it's clashing with you.

18. The thread originator asked about small rigs at the end of his original post... hence the 'small rig' posts that follow.

Also, +1 on your recommendations.

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    My apologies, folks. I wound up setting up two threads in one with the way I originally worded my post. Sorry about that.

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Interesting comments. Your head is where mine is - and it's a bit counter to what our guitarist and leader is thinking/hearing. He is always asking for more lows, more highs, and less mids.

The other part that will entertain you all is that we are only a trio - a guitar player, a drummer, and me. It Should be easy for me to cut through it all.

In general, we are a Creeping Volume band. Starting out sane, and by the end of the night, having everything dialed up to deafness. The drummer unfortunately has too many toys, and he lugs a Very Large, Very Powerful PA to every gig that can create tons of volume. He's also a fan of loud, ringing drums, not muffling them at all like I used to in my drum days. So, he's definitely conjuring up some volume, but still, I should be cutting it with that equipment.