Smallest+Lightest+Loudest+Best-Sounding Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McBassist, Sep 3, 2005.

1. McBassist

Aug 24, 2005
    Bass Dudes (and Dude-ettes) -

In your opinions (BASSed on experience mind you!) what is the smallest (fits in car trunk), lightest (75 pounds MAX), loudest (250 watt minimum) and most tone-alicious amp out there these days?

In other words, what DO YOU THINK packs the best sound and most punch in the smallest, most portable package?

Combo or separates, doesn't matter, long as it's little.

Lemme know what you think!

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    WW Ultra with Schroeder cabs and a good tube DI.
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well theres that 'rule', that it can't be light, small, and loud. But I suppose the smaller schroeders would be small and loud. And Epi UL would be a small and light cab (though not AS loud) and then theres the smaller Accugrooves and Bergs..

Amps, I suppose you'd say a WW Ultra. Then again, this question has being asked alot..
  4. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Schroeder and a Walkabout? That seems plausible.

On a somewhat related note, my Epi-212 is stuck in my trunk. It got in and out it's being stubborn.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    fits in the trunk? easy...

Euphonic Audio iAMP-800 (18 lbs.) w/ NL210 (44 lbs.)

another killer cab is Acme's B-4 4x10 (78 lbs.). fits easily into my Accord's trunk, yet w/ the iAMP, i can dial in MASSIVE punch.

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Mesa walkabout Scout 300 watts 50lbs 1x12
  7. Yamaha bbt 500h 500watts 8.5 pounds.
  8. pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Aguilar AG 500 with EA Cxl-112 or Aguilar Gs112
  9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Thunderfunk and Schroeder 1210:)
  10. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Dude, you left out any mention of PRICE, and I do hope you realize that PRICE is INVERSELY proportional to Small+Light+Loud.

In other words, Smallest+Lightest+Loudest+Tone-alicious = Expensive-alicious. Better check the limit on those credit cards of yours :p ;)

- Ugly.
  11. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey

Schroeder 1210 and a Mesa Walkabout head would qualify as well.
  12. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Gallien Krueger 1001RB II at 24 pounds and GK 1x12 neo cab at 38 pounds. there are guys cutting thru loud rock situations with this one cab of wonder. and if you need more booty... add another cab of your choice for some serious volume while still being very portable! :bassist:

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Gotta be...hands down. You can't get smaller, lighter and massive volume in any other combo or separate IMO, HOWEVER the $1200 bucks it sets you back needs to be considered. ...I'd go w/ the 15" tho.
  14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My Eden WT-550/Bergantino HT112 is small, light, loud and sounds great.
  15. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I thought that they were 18 lbs :confused:

EDIT: I'm referring to the 1001RB-II
  16. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    my mistake. 18 lbs they are! so you get 460 watts at 8 ohms and 700 watts at 4 ohms (not including the 50 watts for the horn if you run GK cabs). i dont see how a boogie walk about could compete with the volume of this lightweight beast. a lot more power and only weighs 5 more pounds. SOUND however is subjective. some might dig the vintage vibe of the walk about. that lies in the ear of the bass playa. :bassist:

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    very true.... I also like the fact that the Walkabout head is removable from the cab so it can be use on a larger, stationary rig....
  18. phrygianpastor

phrygianpastor closet bassist...

Apr 16, 2005
    anyone check out the mark bass little mark? club bass carries em...under 6 pounds, 500 loud watts at 4ohms, and less than 800 candians dollars...a friend bought one and absolutely loves it...fits in your backpack like it's no big deal...
  19. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    U5 into a PLX 1602 into a Schroeder 410 (soon)

ok-ok so I made a compromise of a little weight for a LOT of LOUD.

however, it's still pretty small considering it's application.

20. Markbass + Schroeder gets my vote.