Smallest possible power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JJBluegrasser, Feb 10, 2006.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi all,
    What is the smallest mono power map you've ever seen. Is there anything smaller than an Acoustic Image? I mean like Groove Tubes Brick sized package...

2. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Packaged amps
    Flying Mole
    More on the way like from Alto
    If you want to build it yourself you can make it smaller.
  3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I tried out my bass through a Crate Power Block. Respectable sound at moderate volume. Super rugged package. I was able to push it into protect mode with really loud notes (well into hard clipping distortion territory), it just went out for a couple seconds and then came back to life. The preamp is voiced, but you can bypass both the preamp voicing and speaker simulator by feeding an outboard preamp into one of the RCA input jacks.

The world awaits a bass version -- same basic concept, preamp voiced for bass, lose the speaker simulator, increase the current limiting threshold a bit. In my experimenting with Class-D (actually Class-T) power amps, I find that the power amp has to be capable of handling short term clipping situations where the output devices basically see the DC resistance of the speaker voice coil.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Compact series and Half Rack series from Stewart Audio are worth looking into, too.