Smallest rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 21, 2005.

1. What is the smallest rig you could think of?
    Lets say you are gonna use it at a medium big stage, and 250 people in the audience.

WHat is the smallest rig you could say OK to Use?
  2. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    AI Focus and either a Schroeder 1x12 or a 2x12. That'd be my preference at least ;)
  3. Phil Jones' Briefcase amps is pretty tiny.

I might favor the SWR Workingman's 10 with their 1x10 extension cab. really nice sound.

4. DI and in-ear monitors.
  5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    AI Focus with 1 or 2 GK 112MBX cabs. With both cabs you have 2-12's and 600 watts and weighs 28 lbs. :bassist:
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yup, just a DI box.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I know Yamaha has a little tiny setup. A head and a 1x10. I can see an AI and a 1x10. Small but will be heard. Just don't throw a low B in there! This is the combo but I know they have a 1x10 cab. Oh, and this is supposed to be 500w!

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    WW Ultra. With a compact modular cab, maybe two of them for 250 people. :)
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While the Briefcase is, indeed, small, I could not see mine filling up even a smallish stage. The smallest rig that I have put together that can hang with a loud drummer and a Marshall half-stack is my Walter Woods Ultra driving a Hevos Midget. That little 1x10 rawks! It will even do justice to a 5-string at high volume!
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

the AI Focus is a killer little head, but given that most smaller cabs only come in an 8 ohm impedence, i'd go with a higher power head like an EA iAMP-800, which pumps a healthy 500 watts @ 8 ohms.

cabwise, i still cant shake the compact yet HUGE sounding EA NL210. while pumping out massive sound, it could easily fit the trunk of any car, and best of all, its molded handles makes it carry with ease.

together, you'd have ten ton tone in quite the small package.
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    smallest rig i've seen someone play thru locally that smokes is an odd one. two bag end 1x10 cabs (insanely small), an old discontinued hughes and kettner power amp the size of a walkman, and a seymour duncan preamp pedal.
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played MANY a NYC club gig with an AMP BH-260 into a BagEnd S12 (and still got told by sound guys to turn down!)
  13. tokaiguy55

tokaiguy55 Guest

Mar 12, 2005

Gallien-Kruger makes a kickback combo1-12 or 1-15.The 1-12
    has 120 watts the15 has 150 watts.They tilt back like a monitor and are very loud,punchy and dynamic.When i use mine I plug an Aphex Bass Exciter pedal in and It really makes a difference in depth.Good luck :bassist:
  14. I use an Ashdown ABM300 1-10 combo. Carry it in one hand and my bass in the other. One trip. WOW I sure couldn't have done that 15 years ago

Attached Files:

15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Either a little GK combo. Or an EBS 12" NEO cab (One of the biggest/fullest sounding small cab's i've heard) with some sort of amp..
  16. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm using an ABM500 Evo II head with a Mini 1x15 and 4x8...

I use just the 15 sometimes...

That cab is sooo light. I can carry it in one hand and my head in another...
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Okay, here is that Yamaha head and 1x10 cab I spoke about. Looks like a nice mini-rig.