Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small'ish practice amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Aug 26, 2003.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I know there was a thread about small practice amps recently, but my parameters are a bit different... So, I'm looking for some feedback...

Things I want from a practice amp...
    1) Small'ish combo unit, 30-100 watts
    2) CD Inputs, for practicing w/ CD's
    3) Headphone Out Jack, for practicing w/o disturbing the whole house.
    4) External Speaker Jack, just in case.

So far, I've found one practice combo that can do all this.. The Yorkville XM50 & XM100. However the Ampeg BA series comes close, & I like the way they sound,,, but no external speaker jack.

Does anyone have any experience w/ these Yorkville combos? Am I being to picky in wanting the external speaker jack? Any/All input is appreciated.

2. Get the yorkville... I have reason to suspect they're somewhat better than those ampeg combos;)

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    http://www.gallien.com/PRODUCTS/COMBOS/MB150E112/mb150e112.html

Sounds a lot like the GK combos. They are 100w into a 12" speaker or 150w with the 112 extension cab. It looks like they have good controls and at 24lbs, are really light too.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, but I don't wanna spend $700+ on a practice amp. I suppose I should've listed that as an additional requirement..

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go with the Ampeg BA series. I use an Ampeg and love the way it sounds.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    [Salesman ON]I am not sure if I am trying to talk you into buying this, or if I am trying to talk myself into it. ;) But if you think about it, that is a small to medium sized rig that functions as a dual purpose practice amp. :D
    [Salesman OFF]

I really liked the Fender Bassman 25. Awesome tone. But no extension cab. (They do have one, but it disables the internal speaker, which I think is lame.) Other than that, its a great amp and surprisingly loud. I have used it for practicing with a distorted guitar and drummer before. (Although my guitarists and drummer know how to control their volume)

Also, for a practice amp that you can gig with, I really like the Ampeg B100-R. For a small room, it really smokes. It sounds great too. But it is NOT a small amp (at about 60lbs).

Getting back to the smaller ones... You might think about the Carvin PB100-10, that has a lot of cool features and 100w to boot. I don't think it has an extension speaker out though.

[Salesman ON] The GK combo does though!
    [Salesman OFF]

Oops, sorry! ;)

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well,

If I had to prioritize my requirements top to bottom, they'd be in THIS order...

1) CD Inputs, for practicing w/ CD's :D

1) Headphone Out Jack, for practicing w/o disturbing the whole house. IMO, both equally important. :D

2) Small'ish combo unit, 30-100 watts. I'm not opposed to more power! *prepares for Tim Allen comments* :bassist:

3) External Speaker Jack, just in case. I CAN do without this feature,,, so long as the top 2 are rock solid. :bag:

I do like the Ampeg BA-112, the 115 & 210 are a little large, but I do like them. But, no speaker outs. But, the 210 is $600, which is getting up there for a practice amp.

I saw the feature set on the Yorkies, & was impressed & thought I'd see what kind of endorsement I drum up.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Just going by your top two, I think you would dig the bassman. I have seen them go used for around $150 to $200.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OK, I've spent far too much work time compiling a a list of target practice amps, that I've picked out of some various online sales sites,, like MF & SA.

Here's what I've come up with. Chime in!
    Make&Model, Power, Driver Size,Headphone Jack, CD Inputs, Ext Spkr Out, Approx Online Price
    Ashdown Perfect 10 35w 10" Y N Y $159.99
    SWR LA8 30w 8" Y Y N $199.99
    Ibanez SW65 65w 12" Y Y N $219.99
    Ashdown Five Fifteen 65w 15" Y N Y $229.99
    SWR LA12 60w 12" Y Y N $249.99
    Gallien Kruger BL10 70w 10" Y N Y $259.99
    Fender Bassman 25 25w 10" Y Y Y $269.99
    Ampeg BA110 30w 10" Y Y N $279.99
    Yorkville XM50 50w 10" Y Y Y $319.99
    SWR WM10 80w 10" Y N Y $329.99
    Gallien Kruger BL12 100w 12" Y N Y $339.99
    Ampeg BA112 50w 12" Y Y N $379.99
    Tech21 Landmark 60 60w 10" Y N Y $399.99

I am kinda taking a liking to that Fender Bassman 25, but there's quite a few choices that look interesting. That Tech21 looks sweet, because it comes with a SansAmp DI Tube effect thingy.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I think you are requiring the amp to be like a Swiss Army knife :rolleyes:

1. playing CDs: buy a $30 boom box if you don't own one already. CDs through bass amps sound like crap.

2. headphones: buy a Pocket Rockit. Headphone jacks on most amps sound like crap, too dry.

Then go buy an amp.

My $0.02 :cool:

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I don't think its all that much to ask, to play along w/ CD's,, & have it all come out via the headphones... It's what practice amps are for. I was hoping for CONSTRUCTIVE opinions.

12. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Telling you to save some dough and buy a cd boom box instead of trying to run it through the amp is constructive advice. Do an google search sometime and you'll see about 10 years of constructive advice from Brian on usenet and The Bottom Line.

If you want headphones only you can get a mixer that'll do everything you need and be useful in the future for around $100 or less.

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Practice through your stereo, sounds better than any practice amp.

I feed my preamp into my PC and then into my stereo - great sound even for slapping.

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    No No, you're missing the point. I want it to be self-contained,, & allow me to run everything (CD Input AND the bass signal) thru to my headphones,,, so I don't disturb my wife when she's sleeping when I get the urge to play late at night. I have a rather nice home theatre to play along with, if I want to play outloud.

15. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    If you want really self contained, headphone only, then there's the Tascam CD-GT1. I heard there was a bass version coming out, but the effects and EQ would be the only differences.

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If you want to do the above through headphones, any headphone amp with a CD line in will do a better job than a practice combo. If you want to practice out loud, rather than playing along with your home cinema system through a combo, play through the home cinema system, it'll sound far better than any cheap small combo will.

Alex

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    AH, cool. Good idea... they're cheap too... Thx & sorry for being so dense! hehe.