1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Smart Alec or grump?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Grumpy

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Wise guy

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. carrot head

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. eat more burritos

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  5. For your penance eat five helpings of tuna noodle casserole.

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Long day at work. I get in the elevator on the 21st floor with a co-worker that I barely know. On the 20th floor two techno geeks get in. One of them is talking non-stop in a loud voice. She is spewing jargon that only her and her fellow geek understand.
    We reach the 1st floor and we all get out. That is when I turned to my co-worker and said in a very loud voice, "WELL, GOOD NIGHT." No pre-thought, it just came out of my mouth. YIKES!
    We walked in the opposite direction as the techno geeks and I didn't have the guts to turn around and see if they responded. Neither did my co-worker.
    I apologized to her for acting like a jerk. She said it was actually pretty funny.
    So am I grump, a wise guy or just a jerk.

2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Grump. Takes one to know one.

slobake likes this.
  3. Fear. Fear gripped you so you spoke in a loud voice to challenge the horrible emptiness of the time-space continuum..

4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Well...it was a knee-jerk reaction, so I'd say you were a momentary knee-jerk!:laugh:

I wouldn't spend two seconds worrying about this if I were you.

5. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    Huh?

Royal Marine and slobake like this.
  6. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    What an incredibly strange little anecdote...:unsure:

hrodbert696 and slobake like this.
  7. Tom Lane

I would. Isolating ourselves and becoming less tolerant of others is a clear sign of aging. Embracing young people will keep your thoughts young. Embracing inconsiderate jerks won't... but ignoring them will.

bolophonic and slobake like this.
  8. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I understand what you're saying, but slobake doesn't seem like he's on any slippery slope. If this kind of thing were to become a habit, then I'd worry.

9. I thought everybody did that now in the smartphone generation.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Younger people today are the most isolated and intolerant of others' views of any generation I know of. So I guess it works for both ends of the age scale? Never mind that @slobake isn't old. Heck, he isn't even retired.

@slobake , my friend, you are one of the most thoughtful people I have ever come across. The very idea of hurting someone else is appalling to you. That is just awesome. You had a long day.You were exposed to someone babbling for 20 floors and not considering anyone else in the elevator. You said the closest thing to an insult that will ever come out of your mouth....a sarcastic "Good night." And then you apologized for that.

I think you're fine. You are right with her and right with Him. Lose no sleep over this one.
    :D

FilterFunk, ptg and slobake like this.
  11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Oh, and "eat more burritos" is the correct answer to most moral dilemmas.

12. Tom Lane

Funny, we agree, except... you have your facts wrong.

blue4 likes this.
  13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    "Long day at work" is an excuse that chumpians/grumpians use to excuse their own poor behavior.

I suggest taking a couple of chill pills before leaving the job.

One man's geek is another man's treasure...or something like that. :thumbsup:

slobake likes this.
  14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That makes no sense.

15. I suggest you continue to practice, and at about 40, you can become a curmudgeon in full standing. Until then you may have to stay a hybrid smartass/grump.

Incidentally, that is a status you shouldbe proud of.

slobake likes this.
  16. If a person is gnarly and a chump does that make a 'gnump'?

Or maybe 'chumpbecile'....(chump/imbecile).

Stumbo likes this.
  17. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I don't see anything to be concerned about. You matched the volume they had been using, to say a quick good night as you went home. I think grump would have consisted of demeaning words or gestures.

FilterFunk and slobake like this.
  18. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    @slobake, I think you are too nice for your own good. I wrote a much longer post, but I thought better about posting it, so I edited. Peace brother.

bolophonic and slobake like this.
  19. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I think he is talking about my apology. I apologized to my co-worker not the blabber mouth.

two fingers likes this.
  20. The longer post was better. You shouldn't have deleted it. Otherwise, I agree with what you saod.

slobake likes this.