Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

smartlight and Interstellar overdrive....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gaz Goldstar, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Hi folks, I am currently considering changing my amp over from a Mesa 400+ to a combination of an SWR interstellar overdrive and a smartlight SLl600.

What I am wondering is whether this system will give me enough versatility and enough power.

I was disappointed with my 400+ with the amount of grind. I am wondering whether the SWR will give me that valve feeling.ie warm and big followed by nasty and gritty when I dig in?

My cab is a Mesa 1516be. I can't remember what the power handling of this cab is and whether I can bridge the smartlight into 8ohms and have the cab take it ok?

2. Sorry for the bumpage, but I am fairly close to D-Day and I was hoping to find any TBers who have got a Smartlight power amp.
    Any opinions would be welcomed.

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I was running a qsc mx700 and an iod. I think you won't be disappointed with the iod at all, but you'll have to spend some time dialing it in. I had it set up just as you describe-- nice tubey warmth and all the grit I needed when I dug in.

4. ...............?? Oh man, no. just...no. Think _very_ carefully B4 passing on the 400+'s rich, massively deep tube tone. The IOD is paper-thin in comparison, don't even consider it, sorry. I haved owned both rigs and the Mesa is still incomparable. I finally nailed (somewhat) that buttery 400+ tone in a sing. rack space with my F-1X. I am sure there mustbe other preamps as deep sounding but that SWR never ONCE gave up a sound even close.
    Try this setting; All pull shifts out, rotaries basically on "5", ignore the graphic excpet for room EQ and SPLIT your signal, running into both channels of the head. The difference is quite something. A few TB'ers have tried this with great results. A search of TB will turn up their experiances.
    Good luck!

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've been extremely happy with my IOD, and while I usually have things dialed in for that "pushed" tube sound....when you run 'er whide open you should get some serious dirt and grind!