Smartphone As An MP3 Player?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Mar 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I have a promotional subscription for Sirius/XM satellite radio in my vehicle that will run out in a couple of weeks. I don't intend to renew it but plan on using MP3's vs. relying on terrestrial radio stations. I do have a smartphone that I sometimes use as an MP3 player, but it would be nice to have one "permanently installed" for the sole purpose of just that. No bluetooth so I have to run an audio cable from the phone to my car radio's Aux Input plus I have a powered holder I also use to save the battery. I'm always carrying my phone around so it's basically a PITA to always connect it. #firstworldproblems

Anyone use a cheap smartphone just as an MP3 player? Any recommendations? I already have a 32 GB microSD card I can install in it for extra storage. Don't need anything fancy, my holder works great for 4" screens.

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Bump, nobody does this?!

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You could get a cheap android. Like an entry level Samsung that they sell for prepaid use.

PolkaHero likes this.
  4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I use my old Samsung Galaxy as an MP3 player.

PolkaHero likes this.
  5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I use disposable android devices all the time. I have a DIY smarthome (Frankenstein of a bunch of "smart" things and programs) and have a $40 tablet installed in every room.

So while I applaud the idea, I'd say its a bad idea. Because if its permanently installed someone is going to see a phone and smash your window to get it.

elgecko, Gorn and PolkaHero like this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The problem is, the cheap new ones are going to have crappy speakers, so they'd only be good for use with headphones or good earbuds.
    You can get a cheap TracFone & just not activate it. Best Buy or Walmart have a good selection of cheap TracFones.

You local CL will probably have an abundant selection of used phones.
    Don't forget to leave it in a Airplane mode all the time.

PolkaHero likes this.
  7. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Don't plan on using the internal speakers. I'll have it connected to the Aux Input of the car radio all the time.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    My mount is under the dash (cigarette lighter) so it's not very visible from outside of the car.