1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smartphone "experts"... quick question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 17, 2013.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have an LG smartphone and want to change to a Samsung Galaxy. Both have sim cards. What I want to do is keep my current plan where I basically just pay $10 for 250 texts and the odd voice call.

What I want to know is if I just swap the sim card from the LG into the new phone will that enable me to keep my old plan? Basically, just a hardware switch and no bs with locked/unlocked phones etc (I am not sure what locked/unlocked means).

I just want to keep my current plan but upgrade my phone.

2. YOU CAN. BUT.
    the new phone has to come from the same carrier. If not, you'll have to unlock the new phone. (Actually quite simple.)

Unlocking just means you make the phone usable for all carriers.

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    ^Yep

Why did you use scare quotes?

4. Scare... quote??

5. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    "scare quote" (Sorry, wasn't clear I was addressing OP.)

6. You'll be paying near full retail for the phone with a skinny contract like that.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Nope. Buying samsung galaxy s3 off craigslist for about $250cdn give or take. They are last year's model.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    He is skeptical in regards to any TBers actually being smartphone experts. IIRC, though, there may be a member or two here employed by a service provider, so we may actually have an expert in our midst.

9. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    Send me a ringtone of "BUS STOP" and then I'll believe you. :help:

10. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    HA! Funny you should mention that. The Hollies 'Bus Stop' used to be my ring tone. But that was on my last smart phone. I could make another one. However, I dont believe I claimed to be an exert when it comes to smartphones (or in any regard, really).

11. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    This is a special song for me and my wife of 40 years. It would take too long to explain here. :D :p

12. You're going to need a data plan if you wish to actually use the phone to its full potential. These things eat data like there's no tomorrow. You shouldn't have any problem just swapping sim cards though, as long as the new phone is either unlocked (and supports the frequency the carrier uses) or is locked to the same carrier you're subscribed to.

13. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Did you two meet at a Bus Stop?

When I first heard that song I fell in love with it and came up with an awesome idea to base a short indie film around it. But that would take too long to explain here. :smug:

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The phone would have to be unlocked or from the same carrier that you are currently using.

You don't need a data plan, but you would have to prevent the phone from using mobile data, using WiFi is fine.

15. Sim card sizes vary. e.g. The Sim card from my old HTC Desire HD is too large to go in my Galaxy S3. Just something to check...

16. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    Actually no. It's just a song we both like. In fact, It's "our song". I've already said too much. :oops:

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Now I feel as though there is some sort of mystery to be uncovered here...

18. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    Nothing to see here. Move along. :p

19. Take it into your carrier and they can give you a new SIM card with all your stuff on it if need be. Costs ~$20.

lowsound

20. I own a GS3, they use MAYBE a few megabytes on their own on a monthly basis. You can turn off the GS3's data however.