Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

smartypants career advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcfoster, May 8, 2001.

1. pcfoster

pcfoster

May 8, 2001
    so color me conflicted. or confused.

if I've only got a certain amount in my piggy bank, what do y'all suggest be my next move?

1) a workingman 1x15 add-on cab for my workingman 15?

2) a mid-level processor for a groovy effect or three

3) active electronics and pickups for my Warwick Corvette

I've got a reasonably well established funk band, plays every other weekend in local mid-size clubs. My drummers want more beef (no comments please), they vote for the cab.
    I'd like access to another sound or two. Got one of those Zoom multi-jobbies but it seems like a toy and ruins the presence of my tone if I run the instrument thru it, and then to the amp. If I run the effect thru the effect loop of my amp, the effects don't go thru the house system.
    How about if I hotrod the electronics? Do active pickups give you more volume and more distinct tone variety?

Sorry for the jabber jabber. Any suggestion is great.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

LIke you, I play clubs. So, to me, the object is to please the audience, not your drummer. I'd ask some faces in the crowd that I am familiar with if they are getting a healthy serving of bass while I'm playing. Friends can be good to ask if you think they won't just tell you what they think you want to hear, i.e., "Oh, yeah, comin' through just fine, Mr. Charlie."

If no one seems to think that your band's sound is low freq-deficient, you might go for some upgraded pups/preamp for your bass, if it isn't delivering what you need. I don't know what your particular Warwick's are, but I have seen Warwick owners dissing their MECs.

The processor is another consideration. Lots of people, myself included, find the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver turns your bass into the playground bully without altering the tonal signatures of your bass.

As for the effects, I don't get much mileage out of them. A song or two where they're really apparent in the mix is about as much as I think my audiences can stand before they start to think I'm using them for a crutch.

3. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Another thought might be if your going through a house system, is to get a monitor for your drummer. I'd be more concern about over all tone more then volume. The sound guy will keep you loud out front.