1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Smash hits with both male and female lead vocals....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by two fingers, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OK, so the band (or 3/4 of a band) I got together with last week has me all excited. One of my favorite parts is how well the female singer and I sing together. Harmonizing is effortless. She is a natural and QUICK to jump on a part that compliments my singing and I seem to know where she is going musically before she puts on her turn signal.

To that end, I would like to do some duets with her. Now I know there are many choices of smash hits with dual leads male and female. That part is easy.

But here's the kicker. They have to be good BAR songs. Not ballads. Not really laid back songs. Country, rock, blues, funk, soul, pop, whatever. It just has to be something that the crowd can either dance to, or just bunch up against the stage and (for lack of a better term) celebrate.... or..... party to.

My vocal range runs the gammut. I'm strongest up high but can do from Outfield to Ike Turner. Her's is fairly high but not Mariah and she can do scratchy Bonnie Raitt style down low too.

Instrumentation (so far) is bass, guitar, and eventually drums. I am going to try to talk them into one more person to fill things out. But I just joined and don't want to "take over".

Whataya got?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 10:30 PM
  2. Supadope

Supadope

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    While not technically a male/female duet, Bowie/Queen’s Under Pressure rocks. And it’s got a great bassline.

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    My first thought was Stevie Nicks and Glen Frey "Leather and Lace" but then you said "no ballads" so that's out. Great song, though.

Bonnie Rait and Roy Rogers - Gnawin' on It

Or if you can find it, "Opposites Attract"

two fingers likes this.
  4. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
  5. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Stop Draggin' My Heart Around

Spectrum, Gyver, RBrownBass and 24 others like this.
  6. This was my first thought as well. Petty and Nicks.

7. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Well, there's this...

8. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Love Will Keep Us Together - Captain and Tennille(sp?)

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009

11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
  12. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009

13. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    Soon as I finished reading the OP, this one came to mind. Actually, it's the ONLY one that comes to mind that isn't a ballad.

14. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Spectrum, RBrownBass, 10cc and 5 others like this.
  15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Man, I bet playing that synth bass line on bass guitar and singing at the same time would be a fun challenge!

Wisebass, Spectrum, 10cc and 3 others like this.
  16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Pretty rockin tune too that pretty much everyone knows.

10cc and two fingers like this.
  17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm already working out the palm muting pick technique (in my head) that it would take to cop that synth bass part.....

DrummerwStrings and 10cc like this.
  18. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    I want to throw something out here:

I've been exposed to a band called Hayseed Dixie and another "punkish" band that gave me some great ideas.

First, Hayseed Dixie is a "bluegrass" band that does heavy rock hits in a bluegrass style. Their rendition of Walk This way, by Aerosmith is awesome. Meanwhile, the "punkish" band (I forget the name) does classic "crooner" hits from the fifties. Stuff that Tony Bennet, Doris Day and others may have done, but they do it in total punk style. Both can be very interesting.

To the point: Have you thought about taking non-duet hard rockers and make them duets. That is, make your band a truly unique and exciting experience by giving them what they know, in a completely different way. How about Radar Love?

19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona

20. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009

packhowitzer, 10cc, smogg and 3 others like this.