Smash hits with both male and female lead vocals....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by two fingers, Feb 12, 2018.

1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    This was fun to play in the '80s...

Anyone mention the B52s?

Richland123 likes this.
  2. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Here is another Human League song.

4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009

Sugarland, Jake Owens, & Little Big Town covered it.

5. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Gold by John Stewart with Stevie Nicks on vocals and Lindsey Buckingham on guitar.

6. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

OK, everybody forgets about these guys, they only had one song that approached being a huge hit, but they were fairly popular in their time, got plenty of FM radio airplay, and figured heavily in the course of Eric Clapton's career(the only time I saw him live was when he was merely the 'guitar player' in their band). The musicians that gravitated around them formed the core of Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs, The Dominoes, plus the Rolling Stone's horn section, and did work on "All Things Must Pass". I'll throw a couple of my favorites at you...

Some guy named Duane played slide guitar on that one; the next one, a Dr. John tune, is just dripping with funk, and the vocals are a back-and-forth banter like Johnny and June's "Jackson"...

OK, one more...a few years ago, I saw Tedeschi/Trucks, they did this, I thought 'This is too perfect' in a connect the dots way. But here, what a band, right?

Bonnie had done some work with Ike and Tina Turner(to be honest, Bonnie's vibrato was a little too wide for my tastes, but that's my problem); you might want to check this out...

That's all I got right now; I dunno, Otis and Carla's "Tramp", Mickey and Sylvia's "Love Is Strange", Marvin and Tammi's "It Takes Two"? At least I didn't mention Peaches and Herb. Oh, I did.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Bob_Ross likes this.
  7. This could work.

8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Which one was their huge hit? When I was in 5th or 6th grade a bunch of the girls in my class brought in a Delaney & Bonnie album and would gaze dreamily at Delaney's denim-clad beard-surrounded eyes while listening to "Only You Know And I Know"
    A few years later I was surprised to find that same tune on the copy of The History Of Eric Clapton LP I'd picked up.

9. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    This was Delaney & Bonnie's biggest hit.

Michedelic likes this.
  10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Exactly; while, as I stated, it approached being a big hit, not quite a smash, “Never Ending Love”, in 1971, got plenty of airplay, even on a few country stations(which was surprising as they were more soul/R&B influenced, and C&W radio was still resisting anything remotely ‘hippie’). With that sing-along chorus, it was the best that their career got. Changing tastes in music, and the loss of their fabled band over time led to them fading away. D&B eventually divorced; their daughter, Becca, sang in a reconstituted version of Fleetwood Mac(and other Mick Fleetwood projects) for a while.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just gonna bump this with an update....

The female lead in this band is a lot of fun. She's open to whatever. We found a drummer! Things are going great and we have a lot of fun. (We're all sarcastic trash talkers.)

Thanks so far for all contributions!

Ekulati and wintremute like this.
  12. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Smash hit?
    Nope...

Great song?
    Oh Yeah! :thumbsup:

Bob_Ross and two fingers like this.
  13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have that double LP...sitting about 3ft away.
    Still remember the day I bought it is a Philly record store with my cousin.
    The cover photo is Clapton at the Concert For Bangladesh.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  14. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Right! Playing that gorgeous Gibson S-400CES...a huge archtop f-hole jazz guitar that seemed like the oddest possible choice for a guitarist like Clapton.

JimK likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021