1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

smash!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masterquack, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masterquack

Masterquack

Jul 15, 2007
    Hi guys
    At my school they have a talent quest, with the usual crappy school bands, dancers and singers. Now to spice things up me and my friend were thinking of playing wild thing, and then proceeding to go medieval on our instruments. Smash em' up real good.

the main thing i was wondering, is exactly how well does a P- bass style smash up. i actually don't mind if it doesn't really smash and just comes away with a few war wounds, but i am kinda worried about shrapnel. Do you think i might be the one coming away broken?:bassist::bawl:
    Thanks!

*edit* forgot to mention, it wouldnt be one of my real basses, just a crappy $20 one off ebay

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This is, in my opinion, overdone, and completely pointless. It's a crowning achievement of pointlessness.

3. Masterquack

Masterquack

Jul 15, 2007
    hehe :)
    Well i agree with you about the highschool talent quests, but what do you say about the bass idea :p

4. Do what John Entwisle would do!

Just stand there and play your bass while the guitarist(s) wreck their instruments. :D

Perfect statement of individuality (and intelligence) :bassist:

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

It's overdone and completely pointless.

6. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Just letting you know, smashing basses is never well-received at TB.

Once a month or so somebody posts a thread about which bass is good for smashing and they get totally decimated by negative feedback.

Just say no to bass smashing.

7. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    since smashing basses/guitars is always pointless, immature and STUPID since those could always go to something new,

i think you should get a Guitar hero controller or one of those new P-bass rock band controller and smash that. that sounds way cooler than smasher a decently perfect instrument.

8. You can get $20 bass guitars?

9. Go all Ashlee Simpson & lip-sync it. 'Play' bass & guitar-shaped pinatas & when you smash them, you will be loved rather than ridiculed, both here & abroad. A candy-filled gitarron would be awesome. Yeah.

10. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    +1 gazzillion.

11. Masterquack

Masterquack

Jul 15, 2007
    Thank you for your opinions on the smashing of the bass, and i do understand the fact that to many of you it is the worst idea ever, (in fact to me it sent shivers down my spine, until watching a john entwistle DVD. my eyes nearly poped out, when he confessed to smashing Buzzard basses).

I would like to restate i would never do this with a good bass, only an $20 ebay one.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-PRO-CLAS...ryZ38078QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also keep in mind, i was more interested in asking exactly how a bass smashes (ok if youve never smashed one, why not tell me what hapened when you dropped your 20 kilo amp on your beautifle P-bass) i really am jsut more interested on how it smashes, not the philosophical debate on whether we should smash at all.

Thanks for the posts anyway, i do appreciate the help

12. Depends on how strong you are. For example, Nikki Sixx fails hard at smashing P Basses.

And if you lack enough sense to go smashing ANY instrument, a little bit of shrapnel entering your brain wouldn't be too damaging. It'd also give us a story to talk about when you're handed a Darwin Award for castrating yourself with a volume knob.

13. Masterquack

Masterquack

Jul 15, 2007
    NICE answer,

14. Blah, blah, blah. If you want to smash up your bass, go right ahead. It's your bass, right? Certain people on TalkBass may not like it but who cares? "Negative feedback"? Aren't we all different people? We all have opinions. I, myself, don't like broccoli and wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of jeans. Big deal. P-basses...Fender P-basses anyway, can take their share of abuse (and then some). I've thrown both of mine across the stage several times with minimal damage done other than cosmetic stuff.

Beat the the damn thing up and have fun. It's an inanimate object and you only live once.

:bassist:

15. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    actually, since its a high school talent show(correct?)

the statement isn't "what shapnel will hit me?"

but ,

"what shapnel could hurt the student body in front of me?"

the administration would come down pretty hard on you if someone got hurt becuase of you guys' childish smashfest...
    as well as the injured's family, etc.

just a word of advice.

16. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    i think you should take whatever cheap bass you can get ahold of, and break it over your face.....seriously.....find a better outlet for your lack of creativity

17. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    nice advice.....maybe you could stop breathing as your next piece of advice

18. Since these basses are so cheap you should buy 3 or 4 and test smash a couple. You can measure the shrapnel displacement. You could set up a test zone and where the protective gear.

Sorry, but buying a cheap bass, coming onto a bass guitar forum and asking about shrapnel because your worried about injury isn't very rockstar. Be original and do something interesting.

19. Masterquack

Masterquack

Jul 15, 2007
    Yah this was part of my worry, kinda why im asking on the forum for your guys experiences

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.