Smashed bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by IPYF, Oct 10, 2011.

1. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I broke my bass. Its cracked all the way through. Can it be repaired or is it finished with?

2. Silver9692

Silver9692

Aug 17, 2011
    California
    What happened? Where is it broken?

3. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    it pancake fell and fractured all the way through the body. It's still together but barely.

4. Silver9692

Silver9692

Aug 17, 2011
    California
    Is there anyway you can take a picture? There a TON of guys on here that will be able to help you the best they can, but I picture speaks a thousand words.

5. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Sadly I don't have a camera. I'm devastated. I feel like I've been kicked. The body is smashed all the way through. The finish is shattered all around the crack and the broken section is coming away from the rest of the body. I don't even want to get it out to look at it.

6. Silver9692

Silver9692

Aug 17, 2011
    California
    What kind of Bass is it? Just wondering

7. Thombas

Thombas Guest

Apr 28, 2009
    You'll be amazed by what can be fixed. Get it out, take a snap of it somehow, and hear what the guys say. It can only get better, and it definitely won't fix itself in the closet ;)

8. It surely can be fixed. Take a look at this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Gotta know what kind of bass it is before you can move forward. Much of the decision to repair rests with that question. For example, if it's a $100 Rogue or SX then you're probably far better off selling the pickup(s) & tuners on eBay and just buying a new bass.

OTOH, if it's a $1,000 high-quality bass then repairing it is a no-brainer. Anything in between simply has to be evaluated by comparing the repair cost estimate with the perceived (book & sentimental) value of the bass.

It most likely can be repaired. Might not be cheap though. Go get an estimate or two and evaluate the cost of repair against selling the surviving parts and buying a new bass.

10. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    That you, Jaco?

11. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Its an 06 BTB. Worth more to me than any amount of money.

12. If it's worth more to you than any amount of money then you have your answer.

Take it to a good luthier and have it repaired, but be prepared to pay the piper. I'm guessing you are looking at $200-$300 in repairs, but that's just a guess based on the verbal description. Might be more than $300 or less than $200, I dunno.

You'll probably want to refinish it to hide the repairs. You might be thinking about whether you want it to look like it did before the damage or whether you want a new look.

13. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    You have all sorts of people on this Forum. Some are skilled and some VERY skilled craftsmen. But without a picture(s) detailing the problem, how it happened and close-ups, no one can even offer more than a very rough guess (if even that!). It MIGHT be that the repair is elementary, common and could cost $100-200 from a guy with the correct tools for doing what needs to be done But NO ONE could even venture a guess without a picture.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    From the description it sounds like the physical repair wouldn't be that hard especially if it's along the joint of the body wing and neck extension.

Borrow a digital camera or have a friend take some pix for you but get some pix up.

15. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    + 1 so many wise folks here could give you great advice - but they need pics.

If it is worth more than any amount of money to you, its worth finding a digital camera to borrow - or heck even cell pics are better than a vague description.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Use the camera in your cell phone or borrow a friend's phone and take a photo with it. Upload to Webshots, Photobucket or similar web photo site. Link here.

You will need to completely disassemble it and glue it CAREFULLY with an appropriate wood glue...and that's the best case with a simple clean break. If the break is complex and there are loose pieces, you need to go to a pro.

17. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    ...And if you need to ask if a glue is appropriate, let someone else do this. (Remembering headstocks w/attempted hot melt glue fixes...)

18. Pilgrim

Amen, say Hallelujah!

19. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Hallelujah!

20. Pilgrim

Dang, there's an echo in the Interwebs..... :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021