1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smashed "Hateful Eight" vintage Martin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michedelic, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

spaz21387 likes this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Why did they even need an antique guitar for the movie? Stupid move, from Martin, Tarantino, and perhaps Russell.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  3. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Feb 24, 2011
    I believe it was just a bad publicity stunt.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This is why I don't loan out my bass. ;)

Templar, pcake, jfh2112 and 6 others like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    They were supposed to replace the real guitar with a prop before the smash - that is what I had read as well.

drews.anderson likes this.
  6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    If they had used a reproduction, George Gruhn and seven other people MIGHT have noticed. It does reek of publicity BS.

7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    That's what I was thinking. too. I'd love to know why they thought they needed the real thing.

8. Michedelic

Gibson?

pcake and danomite64 like this.
  9. Michedelic

Well, 40K is nothing in the world of movie production(at least at that level), but as far as publicity is concerned(and I realize there's no such thing as bad publicity)if that was some sort of stunt, it creates a lot of bad will and makes Kurt Russell look like a total fool.

10. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    It wasn't a publicity stunt, that's just silly. Who would stand to gain a thing from something like that? It's not like Quentin Tarantino needs publicity. It was a stupid mistake that got overlooked by someone, someone who probably will never 'fes up. It's a damned shame, and nothing more.

Burwabit, Thisguy and 96tbird like this.
  11. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Insurance company, exit stage left...

12. It was a foolish mistake. That guitar should never have left the museum except maybe to be measured for making copies. Idiots, that's what props are for.

13. Michedelic

Ha! Plus there would be about seven people that would care that George was upset, but I was livid when Gary Busey was playing a Telecaster, and not a Strat, in the early scenes of the Buddy Holly movie. Back in those days nobody seemed to care that much. An acquaintance of mine, Jim Elyea, has a major prop house in North Hollywood, and is a foremost Vox amp collector and expert---he put together the definitive history of Vox...
    VOX AMPLIFIERS- The JMI Years
    and his company, History For Hire, has provided period correct gear(and makes a real effort to be correct)for many movies and TV shows...
    http://www.historyforhire.com/hfhtour.html
    In fact he wrote an essay on the subject some time back for Vintage Guitar, after working on the Jersey Boys film(the Four Seasons biopic), making sure the backline/instruments were proper for 1962, let alone 1968. I can't image the insurance he has to carry. But in the case of 'H-8', probably not too many people would have been bothered if the guitar in question would have been a reliced 50's Stella.

elgecko likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Also with Holly, people could look at photos and see what he was playing.

In a situation, as long as it was a period correct style, no one likely would have cared.

mbelue and SirMjac28 like this.
  15. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Perfectionist! :woot: Okay, I went back 'n fixed it. :banghead: Good catch.:thumbsup:

16. OldPlucker

OldPlucker Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland
    waynobass likes this.
  17. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    :bawl:

Sickening.

My other passion is vintage, and vintage reproduction Martin guitars. Obviously I don't have any comparable to the victim here, but still... wow. That's just tragic.

18. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    that's fine as far as that one person, but movies are cooperative efforts and Kill Bill parts I&2 is worth re watching even if just to get to Una's loving smile after she finally delivers the exploding heart strike and she and Bill are at long last, even steven.

Thisguy and The BurgerMeister like this.
  19. Publicity stunt, probably not. Tarantino crossing the line to get a genuine emotion shot wouldn't surprise me though. Didn't he choke someone one time for that reason?

20. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    What??? That piece of crap movie was Oscar nominated??? Oh, too bad about the guitar too.