Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smashing Pumpkins Distortion - WHat is it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Fans, Chime in will ya?

Alright, so I popped in Machina/The Machines of God. And the first song, Everlasting Gaze, has this super ****ing heavy, in your face chainsaw, Mack Truck, car crash distortion on the bass.

The bassist for that album was Melissa Auf De Mer, and I know she played P basses. That song is in C standard which adds to the heaviness, but god damnit I just love the way it songs and I cant figure it out. I've only ever heard that distortion from one other bassist, Twiggy from Manson. The song "1996" is the one inperticular.

Any ideas folks?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Didn't Corgan say in an interview somewhere that they used Big Muffs for a while?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, but he's looking for the bass sound. Not the guitar sound.

I think it's an overdriven all tube ampeg. With a P-bass, of course.

4. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    d'arcy played on the record and quit later. to me it just sounds like a boss odb

5. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    As far as Im aware neither pumpkins bassist had any effects pedals.
    I'd image that distortion/overdrive sound comes straight from the amps.

You could probably get that sound from a boss overdrive pedal.

Whoever said it was a Big Muff is mistaken, it was the guitarists who used them (most clear on Zero) and the bass effect in Everlasting Gaze is far to clean to be a muff.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, excuse me!

I bow to your stalker level of Pumpkins expertise.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Guitars used Muffs. Basses were clean I think.

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I'm surprised that Corgan actually let her play on anything...

9. Just overdriven amps?

Idunno guys, it's almost like its got a muff on it, as I can hear that same type of fuzz surrounding the bass as well as the guitar, just not as loud. But I'm not surprised that a good distortion could come from an Ampeg. I just thought it had to be some sort of pedal, cause that distortion is just severe.

10. I think the bass track on Everlasting Gaze is definitely two tracks - one is clean, the other Big Muff. It is so thick and crunchy, even under the processed guitars. In a guitar magazine interview I read recently, Corgan said Machina and Adore were pretty much solo albums, with Jimmy doing the drums on Machina and Corgan doing the majority of the rest of both albums (drums on Adore are sequenced by Corgan, in Jimmy's absence). And Billy does have special place in his heart for the Big Muff, so it stands to reason this is what he used.

Speaking of Adore, can anyone tell me what effect they think is used on the bass track on Ava Adore from the Adore album? Is it a wah or an envelope filter of some sort (man I love that bass line!)?

11. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    Hmm I think Brown Shark could be right in suggesting there are two bass tracks overdubbed.
    I wasnt going with the muff because of how heavy a sound it produces compared to the sound in Everlasting Gaze, but adding a clean bassline over the top just might produce that sound.

On Ava Adore I've always thought it was a synth effect on the bass but I could be wrong, Im pretty sure theres no wah there - not throughtout the whole song at least.

12. for guitars they also used a lot of the fender blender pedal. it was discontinued for some time but has recently been re-issued. supposedly it is real over the top fuzz/distortion. that pedal was also a favorite of my bloody valentine. used heavily by kevin shields on guitar.

13. OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

IT'S ON!

Ahem...

As far as I know, D'arcy (who DID play on most the Machina album, Billy or James just played on the rest) did not use any effects pedals. The SPFC does not have any word on the gear she used during the recording session, so I don't think you're going to get a definite answer.

The Big Muffs were used MOSTLY during the Gish/Siamese Dream era. The tone heard on Siamese Dream is actually the big muff on running into an overdriven Marshall head.

There is clean tone on the bass in Ava Adore. That effected sound in a bass synth used. I got a pretty close effect on any envelope filter I used or wah pedal.

The Fender Blender was not used heavily by the band. The only time that they used it was during Bullet With Butterfly Wings, where that bridge happens, and it sounds like your speakers are ripping themselves apart (Although, I AM listening to MBV's Loveless as I type this... WITH headphones on, of course)

The drums on Ava Adore are a mix of Drum machines programmed by Flood the producer, and they had a mix of session drummers (The drummer from Filter, who helped fill the slot once they kicked Jimmy off the MCIS tour) fill in the rest for REAL drums.

James, and D'arcy had a major hand in Adore. D'arcy even convinced Billy to leave "Appels + Oranjes" on the album.

14. Freaky Fender - you own on Pumpkins trivia!

For some reason I have been getting back into Pumpkins BIG TIME over the past month - especially Adore, Machina and Machina II. Also have been digging the confessional's on billycorgan.com, especially those that relate to the band/recording. Love the discovery of Big Muff story!

15. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    There was a band from Detriot called Full On The Mouth. They toured with a lot of bands for a while including Dream Theatre, although they were NOT progressive. If you can remember back to the original Sony Playstation days, they had a killer song on the game road rage. Anyway, they had a bass sound on their album that was almost exactly like the track on the pumpkins cd. They used P-bass into an sans-amp into an svt to get that sound.

16. Mmmmh... Machina. I'm pretty much a lone wolf on that I love the production on it. It's so... THICK.

17. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    You guys must excuse the spelling and grammer on my last post. I was in a hurry to get out the door and drop my girls off at their Wed. night thingy. And Freaky Fender, you are not alone on your thoughts about Machina, the exact adjective I always use to describe the production on that album is "thick".

18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Just get a cruddy amp, turn it up, play it real bad

Rob

19. D'arcy was a pretty good player live. She kept time like nobody's business, so her lines weren't flashy, so what? With Chamberlin's drumming it would have made the low end just a bucket of mud anyway.

20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea. So what?

Rob