Smashing Pumpkins fans????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Everytime there is a 'who's your favorite drummer' thread, Jimmy Chamberlain's name shows up... so I know some of you are out there. STOP HIDING!
  2. whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    here i am standing up. ashamedly, my fav. song has to be Melloncholly and the Infinite Sadness (sp?). That song is simply awesome...
  3. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness...

that was probably their best album! And yeah, that piano piece at the beginning is pretty cool.
  4. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I love the Pumpkins!! I stopped following them after Adore, though (btw, I think Adore is a highly underrated album)... what I heard off of Machina/Machines of God sounded stagnant.

Gish is simply a masterpiece...
  5. I thought 'Machina' was really good... like a combination of the depth of 'Adore' and the music of the earlier stuff. thought it was very underrated.
    I agree, 'Adore' is very underrated! Its a great album!
  6. You guys do know about Machina II, right? The Pumpkins put it out for free on the internet.
  7. Every1tookmyname, I didnt hear about that! What was it about? Sounds pretty cool!
  8. "On Sept. 8, the Smashing Pumpkins released Machina II: the friends and enemies of modern music in MP3 format over the internet. The brainchild of guitarist/vocalist extraordinaire Billy Corgan, the Smashing Pumpkins announced in May that they would break up at the end of this year after 10 years at the top of the alternative scene.

This album, released on Corgan's own Constantinople Records, is the band's farewell tribute to the fans. A statement from the Smashing Pumpkins Fan Club website describes that Corgan distributed 25 sets of Machina II LPs to close friends and encouraged them to spread the music on the internet.

The new album contains some of the best Pumpkins material to date and easily one-ups Machina: the machines of God, their previous effort. The sound of the album, on the whole, floats somewhere in between the menacing guitars and bluesy vocals of Gish, the Pumpkins's first album, and the fuzzy distortion and reverberating drum treatments of Machina. Compared to the first Machina, it seems as if the Smashing Pumpkins have relaxed their insistence upon art and emotion in favor of the pure joy of rock 'n roll.

The first three tracks showcase the Pumpkins in all of their hard-edged glory. Machina II then segues into the lush chords of "Real Love" and the mellow vocals of guitarist James Iha in "Go." "Let Me Give the World to You," an Adore outtake, features some of Billy Corgan's most moving lyrics, while "Innosence" features an apreggiated piano riff that rivals the "Cheer's" theme for comforting effect.

The album then takes a turn for the heavy before ending in the synthesized ease of the last two tracks. As for the three EPs, the songs are for the most part heavy, slow, and quite good. "Soul Power," a James Brown cover, stands out from the set for its drive; and the minimalist version of "If There Is a God" brings John Lennon's "Imagine" to mind.

The only text that accompanies the album is a plain typed page entitled "ch5/the story of june (so far)," which presents richly suggestive Smashing Pumpkins imagery and thinly veiled references to earlier songs. Besides this text, the album sleeve features dramatic black and white photos of urban scenes, and the album cover itself presents repeating prints of tiny white icons over a black background.

Corgan's unorthodox release method has been extremely successful - the songs have spread over the internet like a wildfire. All the songs are available on Napster; additionally, the Smashing Pumpkins Fan Club website ( features an extensive list of cyber-Pumpkinheads who have devoted their sites to the distribution of the new music."
  9. pumpkins are one of my favorites, although "adore" has never been one of my regular go to discs. i really think the absence of jimmy chamberlin shows up big time on that. its too techno for the pumpkins. chamberlin brings a driving edge to the band that defines the pumpkins sound. my personal favorite is siames dream, that album is in your face start to finish, great sound and lyrics. im looking forward to billys solo career. (hope he gets a good drummer)
  10. Damn straight! 'Gish' remains my favorite album of theirs. The first, and still the best, IMHO.
  11. I don't own any of their albums, but I listened to one of them at my mate's house, and it was absolutely amazing. I'd buy it if I wasn't broke. I'm not sure what it was called, but it had "bullet with butterfly wings" on it. I was surprised by it, because im not a huge fan of the stuff from Machina.
  12. Pumpkins are(were)a great band.My fav cd`s are Gish,Cherub Rock,& Melloncholie.

Saw them in concert like 5-6 yrs ago.As much as I dig `em,they are definately a studio band.Their live sound was kind of "dirty".Still,a great show though!
  13. Every1tookmyname, man, you were right that stuff is brilliant! Too bad they didnt release it on CD as well.
  14. I saw them at the college of William and Mary in VA during their Siamese Dream tour.I was blown away.Great show!!!
  15. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're done. Corgan has a new band called Swan or something.
  16. i've recently gotten into them...gish and siamese dream are great...i didn't really like ava adore...i will be borrowing melloncollie from a friend soon
  17. My brother got me hooked on Pumpkins and, even though they are not my favorite band in the world, I still have great respect for them after songs like Zero, Bullet w/ Butterfly Wings, 1979, Tonight tonight, Ava Adore, and countless others...Their videos were stupendous, and made me want to become a rock star (hey, I was only like 8 when I saw them on MTV first...:D)! And probably Metallica, but I was interest in Pumpkins first.
  18. pumpkins used to be my favourite band. I used to have almost every album....I don't know which one I like the best...