SMB-4A Wiring for an OLP MM2 4 Strings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JFRES, Mar 2, 2004.

1. JFRES

Mar 2, 2004
    I've just bought a SMB4-A. Anyone knows the right wiring for the OLP MM2? I don't dare to cut any wire before information cause I think they are not the same wiring design:
    SMB-4A : 5 wires - Red, Green, White, Black + GROUND -
    MM2: 4 wires - 2 X Black & White, no ground
  2. i have the mm2 as well... i'm going to be installing a bartolini mmc as soon as it arrives in the mail (hopefully tomorrow)

the mm2 stock pickup:
    basically the pickup is split into 4 + 4 poles/magnets (4 neck side, 4 bridge side) each set of 4 poles has a lead (white+black) the white is what carries the live signal and the black is ground

on the OLP you have 2 tone knobs, 1 controls the tone 4 neck pole pieces the other the 4 bridge...... if you want to keep this configuration you're going to have to figure out what the leads coming out of your sd pickup are

i hope this helps

PS - you dont need to cut any wires, you can use a soldering iron to desolder the connections that you need to remove and then install your new pickup
  3. hmmm. I'm wondering if the 2X tone (or is it 2X volume?) control layout on the OLP MM2 drains away highs(even when set fully open) - I tried one and felt it was lacking in highs-
    I have a Kent Armstrong MM p/up wired passive to a series/parallel/single toggle switch in a Dearmond Jetstar special and it sounds more like a Stingray than the OLP did.

have you experimented with bypassing the controls in your OLP?
  4. good question... maybe it was 2X volume + 1 tone (i switched it out for a bartolini ntbt preamp soon after i got it)

OLP's stock setup pretty much sucks, the pickup should be wired in parallel and you need to put your own preamp in in order to get it to sound like a stingray...the pickup blending controls they give you are just kind of useless imo
  5. robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    OLP are 2 volume 1 tone.
    So take the 2 wires that go to the volume & they are the hot.
    With SD its Black hot white neg 1st set of coils.
    2nd set is red hot green neg
    If you go 2 volumes its
    1st volume black to voulme white to earth, 2 volume its red to volume pot green to earth
    There a wiring diagrame on the SD web site wiring / bass / MM passive
  6. robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    OLP are wire same as jazz bass . Its just the 2 pickups sre next to each other
    By the way the ground you are talking about is a sheild which you put with the green