Smell in case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bill h, Nov 4, 2003.

1. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I hope this in the correct forum!

I got an acoustic guitar (I know) a few days ago. The case stinks very Strong from the glue to get the padding to stick to the case. When I pull out the guitar it also smells of this glue. Will this smell harm the guitar, and how long to get rid of the smell? I leave the guitar out of the case with the case open now?
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Don't worry about it.

It'll clear up in a couple weeks.

You'll get used to it before that.
  3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Go to your local Guitar store and snag a couple
    of those Dessicant packs that come packed with
    the Guitars & Basses and put them in the case.
    When I store my Cases away I leave a couple of
    those in each one.
  4. my fretboard(rosewood) smells weird.

what can I do?
  5. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    i think you should just air the case . leave it open . the smell should go away . eventually
    my skb case smells quite nice .
  6. The SKB that came with my StingRay5 smelled good, almost like vanilla! :smug:

The smell won't hurt your guitar, it's just gonna make it stink too. :p

I don't think it will ever go completely. Maybe it'll get a bit better, but there'll always be a little fragrance inside... :meh: Well, that's what I think.

Osama, the smell from your board probably comes from the oil used on it. It must be normal, don't worry about it.
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Now I know where I left that lutefisk!

8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i got this funk going on in my car. what should i do?
  9. Thor

I'd take that smelly equipment out and air the smoke and shhoot out of it at least once a year!
    Those taco wrappers gotta go, too.

Have you checked to see if the Teamster's Local left Hoffa's body in your trunk?
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  11. Well....

Since we're open to smells in different regions I got this wicked stench coming from my girlfriend's...................................................................................................................................................................................................

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Dude, the Aguilar cabs that I bought almost 4 months ago, still have that awesome Vanilla smell... Since I have been either going to practice, recording or gigging most days out of a week I have been keeping them in the car... my car smells so good now!!! Which is great since quitting smoking and buying those speakers, the car doesn't have the cig-funk anymore....which I thought was going to last till I sold my car....

Actually speaking of which, Playing in bars every weekend, one would expect my cabs to start smelling like smoke as well... That Vanilla smell has prevailed over the cig-funk!!!
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My Ibanez 570 that I bought new in '92 still has that "new guitar" vanilla type smell. It did come with a SKB too.

I keep all my guitars in the case when not being played. They all smell and look new to a certain extent. With small kids around, if you're not holding onto it. Lock it up!
  14. It's natural. My G&L fretless gets that "something new" smell whenever I leave it in the case, and after a few days out in the fresh air it just smells like the rest of my room.

Hmmm... thinking about that, I should leave it in the case more often.
  15. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Thanks for all the help to all!!

If it smelled like Vanilla I would be cool with it. I stinks like a industrial glue of contact cement. :mad:

I tried this with no help. Any new or different ideas??

The smell is very strong and I still need help. I want to keep the guitar in the case, but if I do then the guitar smell so strong that I don't want to play it for a day or two. (It has to "air out")
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is definitely a case for the Fab 5. They'd know what to do!
  17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    So Guitarist's Eye for the Bass guy?

18. Thor

I solved that one by leaving a $89 nylon string
    beach guitar around for them to play with.
    Kept them away from my real guitars and basses.

The case is gonna need an air freshener.
    Preferably a retro one that looks like Marilyn
    Monroe. From the auto store.

Or, try vanilla drops ( alcohol based extract of
    vanilla) or simply buy some vanilla beans at the
    whole foods type market, and leave'em in there.

If you can't air it out, overpower it.
  19. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have tried every thing I could think of.... air the case out for over 2 weeks with a fan on it left open. The small Dessicant packs. I did not put in any thing to cover up the smell... I don't want it to smell like "glue and what ever"

Any help would be very cool and much appreciated.
  20. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    cut some cedar, pine. spruce or other wintergreen twigs with lots of needles and close them up in the case for a few days. The chlorophyl will neutralize most odors.

Of course just leaving the case open for a few days should work also.