1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Smelly rehearsal area

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by edpal, Oct 8, 2013.

1. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Ok,I go try out and get this gig. Problem: the rehearsal space is moldy smelling, like to the point I am seriously worried it ain't healthy. And cramped since it's been chopped up into a poor-man's recording studio.,. These guys know I have a space about 2.5 times as big, in a clean, dry, fully finished basement with a doorwall we can back a vehicle up too so no actual stairs for load in/out.. It's on farm land, so noise, neighbors,parking and all that are non-issues. Nice pa, board, mics, fridge for the band, full bathroom for the band. Is it weird or pushy for me to suggest we practice at my space? Would be shorter drive for everyone but the guy who currently provides the space.:rolleyes:

Their current space would still be there - it's basically a pole barn the guitarist gets for free or super cheap from his wife's grandma. Old, nasty and still full of the dead grandpa's "stuff".

2. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    i can't imagine that if you feel that way, so does the rest of the band...even if i were the guy with the other space, i would rather drive to someone else's nice space than continue to practice in my cruddy space...unless he's too proud :rolleyes: screw that noise

3. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    Wow! Good luck with that one. It really sounds like a can of fish waiting to burst.
    Sorry. :-(((

4. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    If there are mould spores floating about then that is not good if you inhale them...

It is probably damp, cool and stagnent in there and is in need of treatment with chemicals and dehumidifiers.

If you have the choice then find somewhere else.

5. 45acp

45acp

Feb 5, 2013
    Texarkana TX
    Im for jamming/rehearsing at the best space possible for US. If it happens to be at my house (it currently is) then that's a great bonus. However, say we hypothetically got a new guitar player, and that player's space was better than mine... I would have no problem moving rehearsal over there.

Couldn't hurt to ask.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    +1

Though I do love the convenience of practicing at my own house. Good thing our drummer lives there too! :smug:

7. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Can we practice at your place?

8. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Perhaps if you bring your us large quantities of beer.

What kind of music do you play?

9. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Is your place better than the OPs?

10. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Definitely. No mold.

We rehearse in our garage. Its dry. Clean. Has a small bathroom.
    There is easily room for a 5 piece band, we had a 6 piece perform in there once.
    We fit our 3 piece in their with plenty room to spare.

11. Heck no. Well, at least in my opinion it’s not pushy - in fact I’d be ticked off if I was rehearing in a little moldy dump when we could be rehearsing in a nice clean environment.

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It should be easy to sell the rest of the band on the idea.

13. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If you leave your amp there and it has the rat-fur covering, that will pick up mold from the room. So your equipment is subject to damage as well as your health.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Let's see........Most of the band could drive less. It's cleaner. You can make all the noise you want. More space. Good Pa......

Yeah, I think you'll be fine bringing that up. If that one guy tries to force the band to stay in the mold pit so he doesn't have to drive as far, he is........ well........... you understand.

15. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    If the guy that is fronting the current crappy rehearsal space is not happy with your offer there may be somes serious mental/emotional issues going on with him. Show everyone your studio rehearsal space and see what kind of reaction you get

16. OEW3

OEW3

Nov 6, 2011
    USA
    Yeah, mold is bad news. Bad for your equipment, bad for your lungs, in many cases. Be careful.

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    If you had a workspace or rented an apartment that smelled like mold would you just stay there or would you say something or do something about it? Same diff. The mold issue would be a deal breaker for me. Not worth it.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Dirty, smelly practice spaces are the best. The big, nice, clean ones don't have any personality.

19. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Heh, dig the sarcasm. Actualy, sometime a crummy space does have a certain vibe. I used to do my personal practicing in an about 4X8' area in a former coal bin - yes the black stuff. Had a low ceiling so I had to stand between the joists. Had a fantastic" "I'm an starving artist doing my thing" vibe to it.

Update:So I get there today and it is noticibly better smelling and the guy has a couple of fans going. So I broached the subject. Turns out the roof had a leak, he even shows me where it was and has been fixed, carpet and drywall he pulled. He's fixing it up nice for a studio - isolation rooms with recycled plate glass windows between all. So what we have tentatively agreed is that we will use that space for rehearsing on new material and recording. But time we get booked for first gig we are going to setup and rehearse at my place as it has a very "stage" feel to the layout. I believe the guy providing the space IS reluctant to move but once he tries it, I think he will love my space.

Someone mentioned the rat-fur amp covering picking up the smell. Good call - I think I'll take the other combo with hard Tolex there.:D

20. FWIW: Personally, I’d want to see/know how long it takes for everyone to setup and etc - so, I’d want to play elsewhere at least once, because I’d want to see how fast they move/setup.

Anyway, that's good news - thanks for the update.