1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smith Burner Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zac, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Zac

Zac

Mar 19, 2004
    Just bought a Smith Burner (from a fellow TB'er) and I absolutley love it! Great tone, fast neck, If this how a "fake" Ken Smith bass plays, I can't wait to own a handmade one.

The Burners are awesome. Great basses.

Anyway onto my problem. I took off the strings that came with it, and replaced them with Smith Ultra Lights (strings of choice) and they practically lay on the fretboard!

I just don't get it. It played fine, I switch strings, and now I get nothing but fretbuzz with the action completley up. In fact I adjusted it a few ways. Probaly what I get for messing with the bridge.

Im open for suggestions here.

Thanks

Zac

2. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Sounds like you need to loosen the truss rod. Your new strings are putting less tension on the neck.

3. Zac

Zac

Mar 19, 2004
    With my luck I'd snap the damn thing...not too mention I'm in the absolute middle of nowhere (Newberry, Michigan) So If something went wrong, there's no where remotley close to take it to.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Your Bass originally was set up with Medium Lights. ULs are about 4 gauges lighter. They are one step from rubber bands comparativly. Imagine driving a 4,000 lb Car and then putting shocks from a 2,000lb Car on it. The Muffler will be dragging on the ground. If a neck is made to hold medium strings and you go down 4-5 gauges then you can expect trouble. The strength is built into the neck and not the truss rod. It may not adjust the way you like. Also, thinner strings = thinner sound. The Bass should play easier and with lower action with a light to medium set on it.