Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by namlssboy, Mar 29, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Aren't they made to Smith's spec's???

I replaced the strings that came on my Lakland Skyline, which were made by GHS, and replaced them with Pedullas, only to find the Pedullas are identical to the originals, except for length and the silk wrap color.

There are only a handful of companies that actually manufacture strings, so nothing surprises me.
  2. I don't think they are. GHS just sends them piles of strings, they are picked through for quality, and packaged.With the Smith name and an extra 8.00$.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Where exactly did you hear this? I'd bet it was a salesman who didn't have Smith strings in stock, and was trying to sell you GHS.

I'd be willing to bet money that you are 100% wrong. If they just "send them piles of strings," then why are the silk windings purple on Smith strings, and yet, there is not a set of GHS strings marketed with purple windings? :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that Ken Smith will pipe up here in the near future to set the story straight.
  4. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    It's been a number of years, but I did get a tour of the GHS factory once. They were making strings to spec for several companies back then, including Dean Markley, who have since gone on their own. I find it doubtful that they are tossing out the GHS rejects for anyone to repackage.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That doesn't smell right to me.

It takes specialized equipment to run quality control on strings, except for the rare cases where the faults are visible.

Plus, intuitively, I don't think either GHS or Ken Smith would risk the reps they earned over years by doing that.
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ken Smith told me that his strings are subbed to a smaller company. He wouldn't name it, but it's probably an outfit we haven't heard of. There are more than "only a handful" of string manufacturers, unless you consider "only a handful" to mean 7-10 or so.
  7. I have a set of GHS strings with purple silk windings. they're GHS medium gauge precision flats.
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I stand corrected. I still think it's a load of crap that GHS sends Ken Smith a pile of strings and they pick the best ones to package.