1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Smith neck through 5 vs Sukop SC semi hollow body 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike sancho, Aug 27, 2004.

1. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey all,
    It's been a while. I was in NY on biz this past week and found myself with a little bit of time and wandered down to 48th street and popped into Rudy's Music. Not the friendliest people but oh well. Went up to the bass dept. and played a SC semi-hollow body 5 with a nice quilted maple top over a mahagony body, 7piece neck through with an ebony board. right off the bat the neck was very nice and very playable and comfortable in my lap but when I asked for a strap I was told they didn't have one so I cannot comment on balance but I suspect it was good given how it sat in my lap. Tone was warm and full and it had a nice slap tone but it seemed to me that there were some spots on the neck where there was a bit of noise. Then I went on to the Smith. Neck through, mahagony core, maple top and back, 5 piece neck, ebony board. Beautiful neck and easy to play as I think all Smiths are but tone wise IMO, hands down much nicer sounding than the Sukop. More depth and more options in setups and just a purer sounding bass. I was really hoping to get out to Roger's place and play a Sadowsky or 2 or 3 but I ran out of time. The tags on the basses were high but competitive and fair given the work that obviously went into both basses. For my money I would have bought the Smith. If you have the chance stop into Rudy's. They also have a couple of beautiful Ritters on the wall, a six string SC Sukop that also was a beauty and a boatload of Warwicks. Nice to be home!!

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Hard to go wrong with a Smith.