Smith neck through 5 vs Sukop SC semi hollow body 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike sancho, Aug 27, 2004.

1. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey all,
    It's been a while. I was in NY on biz this past week and found myself with a little bit of time and wandered down to 48th street and popped into Rudy's Music. Not the friendliest people but oh well. Went up to the bass dept. and played a SC semi-hollow body 5 with a nice quilted maple top over a mahagony body, 7piece neck through with an ebony board. right off the bat the neck was very nice and very playable and comfortable in my lap but when I asked for a strap I was told they didn't have one so I cannot comment on balance but I suspect it was good given how it sat in my lap. Tone was warm and full and it had a nice slap tone but it seemed to me that there were some spots on the neck where there was a bit of noise. Then I went on to the Smith. Neck through, mahagony core, maple top and back, 5 piece neck, ebony board. Beautiful neck and easy to play as I think all Smiths are but tone wise IMO, hands down much nicer sounding than the Sukop. More depth and more options in setups and just a purer sounding bass. I was really hoping to get out to Roger's place and play a Sadowsky or 2 or 3 but I ran out of time. The tags on the basses were high but competitive and fair given the work that obviously went into both basses. For my money I would have bought the Smith. If you have the chance stop into Rudy's. They also have a couple of beautiful Ritters on the wall, a six string SC Sukop that also was a beauty and a boatload of Warwicks. Nice to be home!!
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Hard to go wrong with a Smith.