Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smith or Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike sancho, May 28, 2004.

1. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Would you trade a Ken Smith BSR5MW for a Sadowsky Metro. I'm gassing for a Sadowsky but have no funds. I'm torn because I love my Smith. I play in churches and I don't earn any income and don't have much gear left to mount a serious deal. I'm just looking for your thoughts. I'm all over the map in terms of styles of music but most of it is Contemporary Praise and Worship. What to do?!!

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Trade ? I would not...

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a Church Bassist and Sadowsky basses are the best for that style of music, great tone and well built. Get the Sadowsky, you wont be disappointed. :hyper:

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well, I happen to know many, many church players that swear by Ken's basses.

meh, I do not think you will get good results with this question. Too subjective.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    +1

There's no guarantee you'll like anything as much as you like your Smith. Once it's gone, it's (usually) gone... then what?

The choice is yours, just understand the risks before you make it.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I can appreciate really liking what "you" have but this is just plain bad advice... for anyone other than you.

No offense.

7. MAJOR METAL

True Brad is very right. even though i am a big Sadowsky fan i know their is still the chance that it might not be for you and i wouldent want to see you sell a bass that feels great to you and not be able to get it back becuase you sold it for the other bass isint it. See if you could try a Sadowsky out first and then decided what to do. Maybe you can keep the Smith and just save up for the Sadowsky. Best of luck to you :)

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Totally different basses! If you're into the Smith vibe, you may not be into the Sadowsky. It's a tough call, but if you're into your Smith, I'd stay wit that, but it is a tough call.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Smith's are hugely popular amongst the gospel crowd are they not? Either way I would easily stick with the smith.

10. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thank you all for your advice and comments. I have been down this road before as many of you probably have and had both good and bad results. Based on that I will keep my Smith and try and save for the Sadowsky or just be happy with what I have now. GAS is a bad thing! Thanks again!

11. MAJOR METAL

Sounds Good Mike :)

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree, also.