Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smith Rock Masters

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scooby D, Oct 12, 2000.

1. Scooby D

Scooby D

Oct 3, 2000
    Hi Everybody! Hey I've been using Ken Smith Stainless Steel roundwounds on all of my basses for the last few months and I really like them. Especially since they seem to be alot cheaper than many of the alternatives. They really last and they don't chew up my fingers the way alot of steelwounds do. I am a little worried about fret wear though, since I've always been told that steels eat your frets alot faster than nickels do. I don't see any unusual wear yet on any of my basses but I'd like to know if any of you out there have used Smith Masters and if so, do they seem to be hard on frets? Thanks from the Scooby!

2. Hey Scooby,
    I bought a few sets of those Smith Rock Masters back when Musicians Enemy had a big sale and I have to agree with your assessment--they sound very nice and have good life. I've also heard that stainless strings wear down your frets more quickly than nickel, but it probably depends on how hard you fret, whether or not you slap, etc. My understanding is that frets should last a pretty long time regardless. If you like your tone, I wouldn't worry too much about wear on the frets. I personally would rather have tone that I am satisfied with and have to change frets a little sooner, than have a tone that's pretty good but preserves my frets just a little longer.
    Anyway good luck.
    funkyc

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I've had a set of Rock Masters laying around here for a while, so I finally put them on my Iceman bass today. My first impressions are very favorable. They have a nice bright, but rich, full tone. I have to say, that they brought some tonal aspects of the Iceman that were pleasantly new to me. :)