Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smith strings... Opinons?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davidoc, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Does anyone have any experience with strings by smith?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have tried one set of Smith strings. I tried some stainless Rock Masters on an old Washburn headless with EMG active pickups. The sound I got was ultra-clean, very high-tech. This is not what I'm currently looking for, but if you like that super-clean sound, they are pretty good. The bottom end on these strings is also good, but if you like a thumpy sound, or flatwounds or half-rounds or something like that, these wouldn't be the thing. If you want something with a lot of "cut," buy 'em.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Max....would that one of the old Washburn headless Bantams? I have one, but haven't see too many besides mine.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yep, it was a B-60. Sold it to buy a Precision. It was a pretty good bass, but I like the feel of that big slab of wood in front of me. The pickups had been replaced with EMG-HB's. I think Elderly has one for sale now, too.

5. I have become a very big fan of Ken Smith Compressors. They were all I used on my Jazz, and will try a 5 set on my new RB5 soon. They feel great under your fingers, have a great slap tone, good bass, stay in tune well, don't squeak, and still have a good high end. Plus, they hold up pretty well; longer than the typical steel roundwound. A side benefit is they will reduce fret wear.

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Yeah...I saw that one at Elderly. I have never seen another one like mine though. It has red binding around the body and neck....even red dots on the fretboard. It's a great backup bass to have around.