Smith strings... Opinons?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davidoc, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Does anyone have any experience with strings by smith?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have tried one set of Smith strings. I tried some stainless Rock Masters on an old Washburn headless with EMG active pickups. The sound I got was ultra-clean, very high-tech. This is not what I'm currently looking for, but if you like that super-clean sound, they are pretty good. The bottom end on these strings is also good, but if you like a thumpy sound, or flatwounds or half-rounds or something like that, these wouldn't be the thing. If you want something with a lot of "cut," buy 'em.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Max....would that one of the old Washburn headless Bantams? I have one, but haven't see too many besides mine.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yep, it was a B-60. Sold it to buy a Precision. It was a pretty good bass, but I like the feel of that big slab of wood in front of me. The pickups had been replaced with EMG-HB's. I think Elderly has one for sale now, too.

5. I have become a very big fan of Ken Smith Compressors. They were all I used on my Jazz, and will try a 5 set on my new RB5 soon. They feel great under your fingers, have a great slap tone, good bass, stay in tune well, don't squeak, and still have a good high end. Plus, they hold up pretty well; longer than the typical steel roundwound. A side benefit is they will reduce fret wear.

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Yeah...I saw that one at Elderly. I have never seen another one like mine though. It has red binding around the body and neck....even red dots on the fretboard. It's a great backup bass to have around.