1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smithereens were a great band, R.I.P. Pat Dinizio.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bipslapper, Dec 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    I started playing bass in 1985 and a couple years later, in college heard "Blood and Roses" on the Umass radio station. Cool band, great songs and from New Jersey (like me originally). Sadly, lead songwriter and lead vocalist, Pat Dinizio passed away today at the young age of 62.
    Original bass player, Mike Mesaros, had a unique style, especially on their break through album and I was a big fan. Got to meet the band in 1988 when I was working at the Umass performing arts center and their roadie let me play his P-bass through his rig pre-gig. What at thrill playing "Blood and Roses" loud and proud. The guitarists played Rickenbacker at that time, which was also cool and sometimes all three stringed instruments on stage were Rics. Wish we had more bands like the Smithereens, rest in peace Pat.

Pat DiNizio, Smithereens Singer, Dead at 62

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

RIP Pat. 62 is way too young.
    BTW. Blood and Roses is a great song with a super fun bass line. We played this in my old band.

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Wow, I didn't realize Pat had gotten so big. RIP.

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    RIP. I was a big Smithereens fan and that music turned me on to one of my all time faves: Guadalcanal Diary.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Girl Like You....one of my favorite songs ever.
    I was a senior in high school when that song came out. We used to go cruising Friday nights, and I'd be blaring that song from the CD player in my Mazda 626.
    In my opinion, one of the coolest band names ever as well.

-Mike

6. Bipslapper

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Watusi Rodeoooooo!

DirtDog and GregC like this.
  7. reno88

reno88

Mar 16, 2008
    Atlanta
    great songs, great tone, great playing. all-around kick-ass band.

mvolfoni and gjohnson441496 like this.
  8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Dang, RIP. I saw them around '87 or so on my college campus. Solid power pop performed well.

9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Just posted in another thread about him. Sad to lose him. RIP.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I think a remarkable aspect of the band is the consistent high quality of the songs. Listening to a Smithereens album, I never got a feeling that any song was "filler," there just to fill it out the tracks. I never got the temptation to click the skip button. Each was hit-worthy in its own respect.

reno88, GregC, mvolfoni and 1 other person like this.
  11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Cattle Prod!
    Dead Eyes!

GregC and Bipslapper like this.
  12. Bipslapper

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Never thought about it but the bands are similar especially in the guitar spectrum. God@am, I miss that period of music....(Smithereens, Guadalcanal Diary, Replacements, Camper Van Beethoven / Cracker, firehose.....).

GregC, DirtDog and Bob Lee (QSC) like this.
  13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    For me it was the '80s Don Dixon production factor....Smithereens, GD, REM and so on...with the big exception of Hootie and Blowfish (never cared for any of that).

GregC likes this.
  14. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Very sorry to see Pat DiNizio go. Love to all who love him. A band leader, back in the nineties, loved The Smithereens. I should've been paying more attention. I do have Green Thoughts. More to come.
    A Christmas wish: Could we possibly look after our musicians a little better than we do? That'd be good.

GregC and Bipslapper like this.
  15. mvolfoni

mvolfoni

Mar 8, 2017
    Reims (France)
    I saw them during my college years in Gainesville, FL circa 1987. What a show ! A huge fan ever since...
    "Blood and roses" has been a staple in our set since that time in France. We liked this tune so much that we recorded it as a cover for one of our CDs. It may be time to pick another one !
    Keep on rockin' n' reelin' Pat, wherever you are...