Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

smoke crack much? (ebay guy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by egotistical, Feb 20, 2004.

1. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Wow and only $150 more than a new one...

:rolleyes:

That's ok, a local music store had a used SX P with the photo top, and when I asked them what they wanted for it they told me $299. Said it was an "import" (which I guess it is, but still)....

When I told the guy that I could buy a new one for $120 he just looked confused....

Don

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've mentioned many times on here about the MIT study which showed that people on average pay more than retail on eBay - they financed the study with the profit they got from buying webcams at retail and selling them on eBay for more!! :D

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Why do you think that is? Do people get in a frenzy, and adopt a "Have to have it" mentality?

:confused:

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

LMAO! Great way to prove a point!

I've used Ebay for about 4 or 5 years now, and it still amazes me how uninformed some people using Ebay are.

As for the guy above, selling the Brice, I really don't think he's doing anything wrong. Ebay is all about caveat emptor - buyer beware. The Brice seller can only rip someone off if a buyer let's him. He's not making any false claims in the auction, and there's certainly no rule saying that an item has to be sold for less than the original price. Whether it does sell or not is another thing, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be all that hard to find dozens of examples where people are overpaying for items on Ebay. If you're going to use Ebay, make sure you've done your homework on whatever it is you're buying.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have no doubt in the validity of the study.... Do you have a link? I'd love to read it.

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Absolutely!!! There's also the "things are cheaper on Ebay" mentality.

7. Bruce Lindfield

They did mention this - people feel that once they have made a bid it's theirs and they already feel they own it, so have to keep bidding up.

The other thing is how people talk about "winning" an item in an auction - they get conned into thinking they are in a competition to get that thing at all costs and that if they do, they beat the others to it - not that they were ripped off by a clever system!! :meh:

8. Bruce Lindfield

9. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    There are alot of good deals to be had on ebay if the research is done ahead of time. I agree with everything that has been mentioned in this post. Generally speaking many buyers do not do their homework.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll admit, I got caught up in an eBay overbid buying my new EHX Double Muff, but there's also a reason. I usually get amazing deals, and if I don't like them, work a profit out of them. Anyway, there are just some things that can only be found on eBay, and if you can pull off the marketing and find a big enough moron, I believe you can make lots of money.

Besides, someone just paid $200 on eBay for a pair of Funk Fingers that sold on retail for $15, and I watched bidding exceed $500 for an original Tube Screamer beat to hell.

11. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Yup, all good points, the best one being the "Things are cheaper on eBay" mentality.

Good example: QSC PLX3402s are routinely listed there with "Buy it Now" prices that are higher than you can find from established, authorized resellers, and with additional shipping charges that are MUCH higher than the actual cost.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very true, people like that are giving a great resource bad vibes.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow, that Brice is made of 'solid would'.

14. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    FWIW... I've seen quite a few Tobias "Toby Pro" basses sell for several hundred more than you can buy a new one from Musicyo.com.... sigh....

:^)~

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I paid way too much for my Kramer Duke. Got Involved in a 3-way bidding war. I was stunned and angered when 2 bidders dared to break thru my 'drop-dead' bid and I decided to win at all cost. Afterwards, I couldn't figure out what happened. Heck of a time for a testosterone induced madness....

16. I saw that! First thing I thought was, who in their right mind is gonna pay good money for a coupla broken drumsticks with velcro attached to them?

but when I saw the price... :rolleyes:

Granted, I don't have a clue what they're used for or how to use 'em, but I've got a saw and some velcro in my garage, and I know where to get some drumsticks...

About that Brice "auction", I seriously thought of pulling a psa and emailing any bidders to pull their bids and go to rondo, but figured bah.

If they can't do a keyword search for Brice and find them listed for $299, they get what they deserve. And no sense taking money out of the sellers' pocket. He's not doing anything wrong, though I do find price gouging like that offensive.

Bob

17. In my local used shop - a good store with usually 20+ used basses at a time - there was a used natural Essex Jazz for $249. When I told them that new ones were in the $149 range new from the manufacturer, I was told that there wasn't any bass available under $200 wholesale in the world. Of course, it was a g***** player spouting this nugget of wisdom. It frosted me enough to go home and email them with the link for them to see for themselves.

18. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    bear in mind that there many international markets at work on ebay.
    it is more cost effective for me to buy a gibson from an american ebayer at a price higher than the americam retail then ship it to oz than it is to buy it from the local australian gibson dealer.

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I just sold MY funk fingers on Ebay for $200, after seeing another pair go for around $218. Not ashamed at all. I was shocked, but hell . . . now I've got more money free for new gear.

I have a Brice Douglas 5 that I keep as a "beater around the house" bass, and if that other one goes for over $150 retail, I might just post mine as well, and I'll sleep perfectly fine . . .

If people don't want to shop around for the best prices, that's their own problem. Sometimes I'll purchase something at a local store that I know is several dollars more expensive than at a store 10 minutes away, and the convenience is worth it to me. Oh well . . .