Smoke from summer wildfires in the west, effect on health

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, Jun 27, 2019.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    In 2017 and 2018 we had a lot of smoke here from wildfires burning along the west coast. This is said to be really bad for people with respiratory problems. I’ve had mild asthma for a long time but have never needed any special treatment except occasional use of a “rescue inhaler” when I’m exercising. I’d use it maybe 2-3 times a week.

Last summer the smoke lingered here for days at a time and it affected me. I was wheezing and coughing. I was using the rescue inhaler several times a day with little improvement. Finally ended up seeing a doctor, who put me on something called Breo, an inhaled steroid. It really helped with the symptoms but like most meds it causes side effects.

It’s predicted that summer wildfire smoke is the new normal on the west coast and in the Rocky Mountains. It’s going to be inescapable. I’d love to be able to just pack up and leave when the smoke hits, but that’s not realistic. And I hate being cooped up indoors with the house closed up tight and the A/C running to filter the air.

After doing some googling on types of face masks effective at filtering out smoke, I’ve gone ahead and ordered some just in case.

Is anyone besides me giving this any thought? Have you or anyone close to you been affected health-wise by smoke from wildfires?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Which masks did you order?
    We keep a stash of N-95's in our vehicles, in the house, and go bags.

-Mike

3. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
  4. Personally, I don't have any health issues, but occasionally some of the thick smoke blows in the Vancouver-area and it is very unpleasant.

That said, always take caution, be observant & vigilant. Most wildfires are caused by people.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021