Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

smoke on the water

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tye2k3, Feb 6, 2003.

1. tye2k3

tye2k3

Jan 3, 2003
    I'm wondering how to play this song, I know its all on the top string, is it open, third, 6th, open, third, 6 fifth, i'm not sure if thats right or where to go from there. Could someone tell me how to play it the way that I've started writing it and how it would normally be written. Also I'm looking for some other simple little things to play. Thanks

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    open, third, fifth....open, third, sixth, fifth.

its damn easy.

its you basic first third fifth (E G A) chord progression with an accidental to add an accent to it.

please someone post something better if im wrong.

Luke

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ......your kidding,,,right? please... just. walk away, leave the most played out song in the world,,, and just....leave....

if you want to know what he plays, you should go to the "Tabs" section, or go to "Tabs" at the top of this screen. click it, and type the name of the song in the search.

4. I always thought is was in G not E.
    Might be me.
    But then again why not learn the bass line instead of the riff.

5. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Me and you both.

7. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    well you can play it in whatever key you want.

open third fifth ect can be used on any string.

deep purple may have done it in G but i learnt it in E and im sure theres people that have mucked around and played it in F#dim7 and so on. (is that possible) :D

Luke

8. No, you are wrong!
    Deep Purple gave us the gift of Smoke on the Water in the key of G.
    It should only be played in the key of G.
    Playing it in any other key is only a slackers attempt to make it sound fresh and original.
    Not possible.
    Only one band did the song any justice, you know who that was . . . Deep Purple.
    ;)

Speaking of Roger Glover, he did have some great lines, Women from Tokyo has a nice syncopation to it.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    There's no fifth, no sixth and the third is lowered. The first, third, fifth in E would be E, G#, B.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I always thought the bass line was pedaled on the tonic, except at the end of the riff where Roger followed the IV and bIII, then a chromatic run from the open E?

Or maybe I should just check the tab myself. :D

p.s. the riff he plays during the solo is awesome.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yes, that is the way I've always played it.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it's quite ironic that there is so much discussion, as I remember this as beeing the easiest bassline I ever tried playing, back in the 1970s and every guitar player wanted to play that riff!! It was banned in all the music shops!! ;)

13. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    as always i am wrong

14. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    And happily it still is to this very day :)

15. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Well, actually, the bassline rarely repeats itself throughout the song. I'm just finishing a note for note transcription of the song, after finally getting fed up with not being able to play it as Roger did. Very, very tasty bass part. The classic guitar riff is a wonderfully simple, iconic composition, regardless of how many times it's been played.

There's even a little surprise in the bass, which is when the bass guitar drops out for two beats, and the keyboard is punched in to play a C below the low C of a 4-string bass. It's amazing what you find when you take the time to actually transcribe note for note, and the songs sound so much more authentic when you cop the actual part as played.

16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Oh, to have a rock song people are still discussing 40 years later...

FWIW, I wish I had written this song. :)

17. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Winner, winner!! *ding ding ding*

18. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Oh to have a thread someone will post in 7 years later...

FWIW, I wish I had written this thread :D

19. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    I never played it on one string. Nobody says you can"t though. A "C" note on the A string is still the same C note on the E string. Playing the same notes in different positions give a different timber. It is your choice on what sounds best to you.

Anyway the notes to the intro are; G Bb C - G Bb C# C - G Bb C Bb G

The song is in the key of G minor which consists of 2 flats, B and E. The C# in the intro is an "accidental" meaning notes that are sharpened or flatted that are not in the key signature.

Why is this note C# and not Db? should it be Db? They're both played on the same fret? The other notes are flat. Let's let others chime in for the correct reasons.

This is a good song to learn for beginners. try to learn it and think of the frets as individual notes as you learn this and other songs and you will improve your fretboard knowledge as you go!

If you can, take lessons with an accredited teacher and you will be well ahead of the "tab reading guys " Tab is not music, it is a lazy man's shortcut and a unwillingness to learn music correctly.

20. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Bang...Done! :D