Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

smoked my amp yesterday...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJBass, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Yesterday while practicing with my band my ampeg B3158 combo quit and started smoking, it got really hot somehow. Its still under a 5 year warranty from Ampeg but how does this happen, it was cool in the room we were practicing in, I was even wearing a jacket because there was no heat in that room. Anyone have any ideas why this could have happend?

2. Were you playing at really high volumes? Was your amp clipping heavily? I know that when you run your amp really hard it makes it heat up and if it is clipping it is even faster. Your amp isn't that powerful, so you might of just been pushing it harder than it can go, but then again, I find myself doing the same thing to my Peavey Combo 115. It has a giant heat sink on the back so never gets too hot. Or maybe it was just a flude and you got a lemon?? Who knows, just take it in to the ampeg dealer and have them fix it!! A five year warranty is really good, considering it is also transferable to other owners.

3. I wasn't pushing it that hard, running at about 7 on the master and 5 on the gain and drive. It has a heat sink as well on the back, just got hot real fast!

4. Where were you playing,in the garage? Your amp could have suffered a power surge or spike, depending on your power source,or maybe it was just a bad capacitor, in which case it's great that it's still under warranty.

5. Was playing in a studio we converted from a garage. We ran the electrical power ourselves and since the drummer is a home repair professional I know it was done right. As far as a power surge or spike goes, we had three other amps running that day and none of them experienced anything or even hissed or hummed. Just my dumb luck....

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Could be something out of the blue. Bring it in to an Ampeg service center. Ampeg is really good w/taking care of their customers.

I recently bought an SVT-2 PRO @ a Sam Ash blow out WAY BELOW COST. I played it for like a 1/2 an hour there. I brought it home, & it wouldn't play. It ended up that the power tubes were shot. I called up Ampeg & they replaced all 6 power-amp tubes. Saved me about $150. Ampeg has really good customer service.