1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smoked my B2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PatentNonsense, May 10, 2015.

1. My B2000 is less than two years old, and hasn't been gigged at all - so I was shocked to have it suddenly spew smoke and sparks when it hadn't even been playing.

I opened it up, and the SL22 thermistor had blown. That's just a $1 component, but what would make it go out? The only thing I can think of is an external transient, and I didn't see any other signs of that.

If that's all that's wrong it should be simple to get repaired - but is it?? I love the B2000's design, and was thinking about getting a second one, but this worrying.

2. I'd contact Carvin and ask them.

3. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    If you bought the amp with a premium credit card you might have an extra year tacked onto Carvin's one-year warranty.

4. Geez I knew that!! Good one Bob! :D

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    That feature has saved me $$$ on three occasions. Nearly instant full refunds (including tax) with a simple online application form--for a microwave oven, fancy toilet seat and a microphone, which all broke right before the extended warranty expired. The best part was the letter accompanying the refunds which thanked me and hoped I would use the feature again in the future! :thumbsup:

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

Was it plugged in last night or this morning?

The extreme weather in North Texas today caused a lot of power problems. Perhaps you had a lightening strike nearby? We did. At 6:43 am this morning, lighting hit a big tree in front of my neighbor's house. The tree came down and took out their power hook-up and the phone pole. We had might have had a surge and definitely a brief outage, but nothing seems toasted.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    s0c9 likes this.
  7. Chances are very good the blown thermistor is symptom, not the cause.

8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    This is why - in spite of the inconvenience - I ALWAYS unplug my gear from the power source.
    I do that at home and when I leave my gig on a Fri night (to come back Sat night) I DISCONNECT power. I also take my vocal mic with me, but that another story..:)

Never had ANY music gear fried while unattended.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Had the same problem on a dcml power amp. It blew up once, failed another time. Not too confident in their reliability but they're nice in theory.