Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smoken Deal (VERY CHEAP!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Guys,

I only have a bunch of separates (heads and cabs) and was looking for a good little, inexpensive combo to move from room to room in my house or to grab on the run to go over friends houses, etc. Well upon looking at the "specials" area on Musician's Friend I found a little Kustom combo with a Celestion speaker at a closeout price of $39.99!!! I got it in the mail and this little f'er rocks! It's way louder and tighter than I ever imagined it could be for the specs. They must be underating the watts by a long shot (or the Celestion speaker is VERY efficient). Get em while they last, you will be pleasantly surprise about how tight and loud this little f'er is!

Link to buy it on MF->Click Me

2. Quadzilla

Pic of it...
    [​IMG]

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've been wondering about these but didn't want to take the plunge on crappy sound when I know the Microbass sounds so good for a cheap little amp. How does it sound compared to a Peavey Microbass? Another thing that kind of scared me off was the open back design. Seems like it would sound like a guitar amp.

brad cook

4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Yo Fred...you might wanna post a link that's not signed in as "Frederick J. Yankellow", because people can change your MF.com password all day until the cows come home...

:eek:

5. I have a Micrbobass, I tihnk it's very good amp, but it can be tinny in large areas, it'd be perfect for a studio and such! Loud, tight, fair amount of tone balance.

I've never tried to Kustom...

6. Quadzilla

Whew, thanks for pointing that out (I just changed the link)!!!!!!!!

7. Quadzilla

Sorry Brad, I've never played a Peavey Microbass so I can't quite honestly give you an opinion. This little amp is not an open-back design (even though you might think it to because it looks like ot from the front). I can tell you the it surprised the hell outta me for the specs. Rattled my bedroom pretty damn good without farting or distoring till about 6 on the master volume. I did not push it beyond that last night cause the wife was already about to cut my nutz off.... I'll give it some more volume tonight. The little amp was shockingly loud and clean though, I can tell you that (I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised).

8. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Quadzilla,
    how much does the amp weight ?

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ah, my mistake...I thought I'd read somewhere that it was an open-backed design. Thanks for the info!

brad cook

10. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Do you have the 30 watt one? Cuz thats what I have, and I guess its an alright amp. It is powered with Celestion, and makes a good practice amp, and a jam amp for playing in someones house or something. From what I remember, I got ripped off hardcore, when I first started, for somewhere around $200 for it. Its a good thing I'm more knowledgable now huh?

11. Quadzilla

+/- 25 ish pounds....

Fred

12. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Quadzilla.
    You have P.M

13. jblaven

jblaven

Nov 18, 2002
    Dang. Where else can you get it?:(

14. Quadzilla

I've seen a bunch of them on Ebay for about $60-$70 (people prob bought em from Musician's Friend for $39 and jacked up on Ebay....).

15. Given my experience with subs (mainly in car audio), an open back design would be a good idea if you could back it into a corner. It would produce more boom, but probably be a little less clear.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In general though I think open backed is a poor design for bass cabs. You can't always back it into a wall and when you do it's going to be boomy.

brad cook

17. bassfish

bassfish

Jan 31, 2003
    Helena, Montana
    I have a peavey microbass and it is sweet for jammin with the guys!!!!

Never played on a Kustom.....