1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Smokin deal" as the salesman said?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afiaowo, Apr 7, 2006.

1. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    Still searching for my first bass. The board has been so much help in getting an ex-guitar player started on bass.
    I went back to my local store seeing what I liked and picked up an American P. The thing sings acoustically. It was like a tuning fork no matter where you played on the neck.
    He said (and I don't doubt him) that they were sitting on the guitar for a while and wanted to sell it. He offered it to me for $630 out the door with case etc. Is this as good of a deal as he says? I ask because I'm a older student who's not working but could come up with the money if this is as good as it sounds.
    Thanks you guys for proving such great reading on TB.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If that's new, then that's a heck of deal! I would definitely take it. It's still a decent price if it's used, too, but new Americans go for ~$900.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Don't listen to the 'Duck, he's crazy! You're being ripped off! Btw, what's the name and phone # of this store? Just out of curiosity, of course. :bag:

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Killer deal. Too bad "singed" isn't a word.

:p

-Mark

5. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    Thank you all for the confirmation on the price.

Singed is a word but one that was totally inappropriate for the post. Singed is to burn superficially or lightly. Thanks for pointed that out for me Mark.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Nice save! *golfclap* :hyper:

If you dig the bass, that's a great price for a US Fender.

7. i got my MIA for $650 brand new, and i thought that was an awesome deal. I didnt get a case with mine, but i did get a fedner gig bag, and a free set up with new strings. with a new pickguard, tax and the price of the strings is came to $800. So i think your getting a really nice deal. I'd go for it.

8. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    Yes, great deal. Going to use flats?

Thing is, the next mail here will ask for a photo, so you'll be out a couple of hundred on a digital camera.

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

that's a ridiculously good deal on a new American Fender. And if you like it that much, it's DEFINITELY a good deal - even if it were a Rogue.
    Finding a bass that you click with is such a wonderful feeling...

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, as long as you're sure it's MIA...that's a hella good deal. I'd jump on that, man.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That is a good deal. Double-check that it is an American. Personally, I would be willing to bet the bass is used. Still a good deal.

12. That's a helluva deal! I thought I got a good deal on my P. A 2001 model NOS in '"aqua" with a maple board. Like yours, mine is true all the way up the neck. I bought it from a small "mom & pop". He checked it with a strobe and it rang "true" all the way up the neck. I got mine for $699 with hardshell case. That's amazing considering it'll cost you that for a Hwy 1. Who needs S-1 switching? I asked the guy why he thought that guitar sat there so long and he said he thought that the color was a turn off for most local players. We live in a very conservative area and sunburt and natural go like hotcakes. Personally I like the color. You know it's funny...he sells Mexican basses like they're going out of style and nothing against them, but his observation wsa that these kids would come in and buy a Mexican P, case, strings, all the goodies, an be within $150 of that USA, LOL. Oh well, their loss, my gain. Congrats on our new bass!
    Mitch

13. laklandman beat me to it when he references the hwy 1 model - if it happens to be a hwy 1 (which is MIA), it's not such a smokin' deal - otherwise, sounds great! good luck.

14. That is definately a smokin' deal as the fella says. Even if it isnt brand new.