1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smoking ban in your city?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by willgroove2, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Last night I played in a venue that i work in on a regular basis with my band and a few others,in fact the last time I was there was NYE. Since Jan 1st Chicago has started a smoking ban. This was something that I have been looking forward to for a long time because as a non smoker who works in a lot of clubs and has for many years I worry about the effect's of second hand smoke on my long term health.In fact the singer in my band my band who is a very successful jingle/voice over artist basically refused to work that room until after the ban took affect because the smoke was so bad.last night was great from that perspective although you still can smell the residue. Many of the employees of the club ,who are all heavy smokers,were not happy about the ban saying that it would cost them business. I have worked in New York,LA and Toronto and they all have no smoking and seemed to do ok so i don't know what there talking about. I know that as i sit here writing this I feel much much better than I usually do after playing a night in that club,for some reason the first night always makes me feel pretty rough the next day from the smoke.so my question is;Do you you have a smoking ban in your city and if so have you seen any effects good or bad from it?

2. There's a smoking ban here in Ottawa. You can't smoke within 3 meters of entrances to buildings and there are hefty fines for smoking in bus stops as well. They are really cracking down here....
    I happen to like it - especially as a non-smoking musician who would normally be subject to second hand smoke in bars. Coming home after a gig and not having to leave my clothes hanging outside is a definite bonus! And my bass cases only smell like stale beer, not stale beer + smoke. Yay! :hyper:
    I guess I think it's a good thing...

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Tax receipts in Montgomery County, Md. Show business is up 60 percent since the smoking ban. There are lot of folks who like music and drink without the smoke. If NY and LA could suffer no negative economic effects these other folks worries are groundless.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm downstate from Chicago (Springfield area) As you might know, Springfield went smoke free a year before the state did. It killed the bar band business in Springfield. Of course any nightclub across the streets from the Springfield city limits thrived. Something I personally saw happen in the last year.
    I figured now that the whole state has gone smoke free things would even out. BUT, folks in the state goverment have figured out that all the chicago area gamblers who smoke are now travelling over to do their gambling in Indiana. NOW they are considering selling SMOKING PERMITS kind of like liquor licences to establishments that can afford them. Gee I don't get it, I thought the nanny state was trying to protect the health of the workers? Now it seems that it's ok to endager the health of the workers as long as you are willing to pay the government. WHAT A SCAM!
    Keep giving your rights away to the government folks, see where it gets you.

5. treromantic

treromantic

Nov 1, 2005
    ottawa, on
    +1 from Ottawa. Bars still do well, I don't smell (as much:p), and the people that I know who smoke save money in winter because they smoke less. Businesses were up in arms at first, but it isn't like smokers are the only people who go to bars (arguments about smokers being inherently more social are BS). Joe, did CB56's scenario play out in Hull when Ottawa enforced the ban? CB56, it sucks that your government is backpedaling like that. I wonder which way this thread is gonna go?

6. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    smoking ban in Austin. since it's a music city through and through to begin with, the ban hasn't hurt anybody too much. and of those that were hurt, things evened out and went back to normal in about 6 months.

i honestly hadn't thought about the ban in a long time until i played a bar in Lousiana. LA doesn't have a smoking ban. i could hardly breath. it was rather disgusting. i got so used to not having to deal with all that smoke and crap in the air that i could hardly handle 15 minutes in a smoky bar.
    i'm rather thankful for the ban, honestly.

7. Jazz Hands

Jazz Hands

Dec 16, 2007
    I live in St. Louis & have been noticing quite a few bars/clubs become no-smoking, eventhough in Missouri there are no state wide regulations. Eventhough I'm a non-smoker I kinda have mixed feelings on this topic.

8. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    I had the same experience playing a gig on valentines day in northwest Indiana.Nice looking restaurant but a bunch of people smoking like fiends.made playing a nice swinging jazz gig a bit of a pain because my eyes were burning.

9. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Out of curiosity why mixed feelings?

10. I live in Los Angeles, which is notorious for anti-smoking laws. I think many of them are good because it allows for a nice environment for everyone, but I'm not in agreement with all of them even though I don't smoke. I feel that as long as a venue has an outdoor area to allow people to smoke then that's cool. Otherwise it sucks for people who smoke since some venues have a no in-and-out policy.

While at a nightclub in Florence, Italy they had a plexiglass "smoking room" so that all of the smokers can take a drag while people could still see them and vice versa. I'm not sure if it had some sort of ventilation system, but it would be good if it did. It's funny at first, but a neat idea.

11. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Ohio implemented a state-wide smoking ban last year.

12. I don't really go to bars unless I'm playing music there and I don't gig on the Quebec side, so I really don't know what the situation is like. I live in a pretty bar-packed area though and it seems like there are a lot of people out clubbing on weekends. It definitely doesn't seem like the bars around here are hurting for business...

13. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I'm guessing he's like me. I love not smelling the smoke, but it's really not the government's purpose to tell people how to run their buisnesses.

14. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    +1 State of MD got started early with PG county, that was last year. Charles county did the Jan 1st, same as Montgomery.

15. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    The entire state of MD just banned smoking as of Feb 1st..I absolutely love it! I can now play a 4 hour gig in a bar and not feel like I'm getting lung cancer the entire time I'm there. My clothes smell a hell of a lot better too. Almost everyone I've talked to likes the ban. Even some smokers.

16. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I live in NC, the heart of tobacco country. Though there has been talk of banning smoking in places, it has only been talk because politicians are afraid to loose the tobacco vote.

As for Chicago, I think it is ridiculous to ban smoking then sell Smoking Permits. That is a law suit ready to happen. I think there should be strict guidelines in place that a smoking establisment must have an approved air handling and filter system to keep the air clean. Years ago, we had one in the breakroom where I worked that did a great job of circulating the air and sending it through a water scrubber system then through a air purifier. The downfall, it was a little noisey but it moved a lot of air.

17. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    B.C. (Vancouver) has had a smoking ban for years. I think it is a fantastic idea. I also agree that parents who smoke in cars/houses with their kids are guilty of endangering their lives and there should be laws against that. If people want to smoke outside of the restaurant/car/house then fly at it, they are only hurting themselves.

I also don't think that restaurant patios should allow smoking, if it is a nice day, I want to also enjoy the fresh air.

Later
    Rob

18. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    What happened in your area is not surprising. It will happen in other areas as well. I mentioned in other threads like this that the smoking "BANS" were an overreach. The pendulum of smoking versus nonsmoking swung too far to one side and it was inevitable that it would make a shift to the other direction to become more balanced (and fair).

Don't rag on me about my smoking! I quit almost a year ago. ;)

19. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    If you know anything about Chicago politics you will understand that smoking permit's are just about making money not public health concerns

20. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Endorsing artist: SIRE Marcus Miller v7 Jazz bass, DR Strings HI-BEAM
    A non smoker here!
    I remember playing in Hong Kong back in 97. We arrived from LA that first day, and by the 3rd day of the gig, me and my keyboardist was totally sick from ALL THAT SMOKE bellowing throughout the club. Our bodies eventually adjusted, but I do not like hanging in a club, bar, pub, whatever you want to call it, only to head home smelling like a pack of cigarettes.

Now living in Tallinn Estonia, the smoking ban went into effect on June 5th 07. Many of my music smoking colleagues didn't like their rights taken away like that. But I haven't seen or heard of any club, California - Estonia - Finland complaining about losing money. I think that sales from the bar has risen.

I am totally for smoking ban!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.