1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Smoking new Richard Bona and Mike Stern live DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Apr 9, 2006.

1. I got sent a copy of this Mike Stern Live at the New Morning Paris DVD yesterday - and even though it might have been out foor a while in the US, it's just about to be released in the UK - it's a killing set with Dennis Chambers on drums and Bob Franceschini on sax - Bona is blistering throughout - and the opening tune is just awesome with Stern and him going head to head for about 15 minutes, and his solo is typically skillful...;) - but it's beautifully filmed and and the audio is also top notch - while Bona's solo stuff can be a bit frustrating in terms of showing off his playing - this is him at his best.

Just thought some of you would like a heads up on this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8-4925620?_encoding=UTF8&s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

Cheers

Mike

2. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Mike

Thanks for the link - how much did it cost landed in the UK? I recently bought the Hiromi Albums off Amazon in the US and I got hit for £5 importy tax and £4 ADMIN COST FROM THE POST OFFICE?!?!?!?

Regards

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I just picked this up, and actually feel just the opposite. I love Bona's solo work... supportive but technically awesome playing, wonderful writing, singing, etc. To me, the highest compliment one can give to a bass player's CD is that 'it doesn't sound like a bass player's CD'. Richard and the later John Patitucci recordings achieve this in spades IMO... good music, mature playing.

His playing on this DVD is very disappointing to me... massive chops, way too many notes IMO.... more 'look at my chops' than actually holding down the low end. It's just amazing how much better to me that trio sounds with either Mike Pope or Lincoln Goines....

I love Richard Bona's playing in general, but thought his role in this trio left much to be desired. I also saw him on the Pat Metheny tour a few years ago, and it was very similar. Steve Rodby just held down the low end... beautiful tone, wonderful note choices, etc. When Bona moved from percussion/vocals to electric fretless bass for the 'Bright Size Life' segment of the show... it was nothing but 'harmonic slides', 'massive 16th notes', etc.... kind of like Jaco with more chops and less taste IMO. Again, given the beauty of his solo recordings, I was very disappointed.

Of course, IMO... just a different take on it. I will agree that it is amazing for what it is...

4. Totally cool dude - I guess I'm a sad fusion head sometimes ;) - Bona is a weird bassist sometimes in that he does show off a **** load and it's a bit much - but then if you hire the guy for a gig that's what you get! I agree about Lincoln et al - and Rodby is just the master of laying it down with Metheny - I still think Bona is a great player and perhaps he's better seen in his own band to give a clearer idea of where he's actually at musically - but yeah this DVD is a chops fest (not all the time though) on the first tune - Bona does lay it down more as the gig goes on - I think it's definitely a matter of taste - and it's perfectly cool to not actually dig what he does on this - Stern's guitar playing is a similar case in point...:smug:

5. Mate - you can get this DVD on the UK Amazond for 11.99 plus p+p - I just posted a US link for our friends in America...

M

6. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Thanks Mike - ps I like your vid's and the funk band sounds pretty hot.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... I have no problem with some fusion blowin' every once in a while... just kind of surprised with his 'side man' style of playing (kind of over the top and showy), and his solo CD playing, which is totally different and among the finest playing I've ever heard.

I'm sure he's not losing sleep over what I think:D

8. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I haven't seen the DVD, and I don't really know Richard Bona's playing, but I have the feeling that Stern is partially responsible for the load of notes going on; I've seen him live many times, and that's the way it always is: totally different from his studio recordings (which are kinda boring imo): live Stern is always a chops meltdown.

9. I really enjoyed this DVD - Bona is a monster. And I especially like the way the bass was mixed, up front and very present. His use of his (Roland?) MIDI controller was interesting as well.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Hey, guys... I just found it on Netflix for those of you that are Netflix users....

:)

11. I found this DVD was a little better for the (dare I say it) taste/musicality/variety factor as well as for the history. The Stern DVD is great but after a while I feel as though I have been raped by eighth notes.

:bag:

I still dig the Stern DVD though!

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks for posting it- I'll check it out.

I've mentioned in the past that I also have found his solo CDs to be lacking in the pizazz department. They're still filled with good music and tasteful grooves, but when it comes down to it, so are about twenty million other CDs out there. I like hearing the uniqueness of musicians and how they can fit that uniqueness and sometimes over-the-top playing into their music and still make it sound good. Verdine White is a master of that- he plays some really show-offy lines that still sound great. Seeing live footage of Bona with Metheny and when he was playing Jaco covers in NY clubs makes me really want to see him make his records have that same livliness and outgoing playing.

13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I love Bona and his albums, they're very beautiful. I'm not all that crazy about the Stern DVD. Not because i think his playing is over the top but because it's not as over the top as I'd like. I have the Mo Bop DVD featuring Kazumi Watanabe, Horatio Hernandez, Bona and Richard solos in about every song and just plays incredible. If you dislike his playing on the Stern DVD you will hate it on this DVD. I love his overall restraint and taste on his CD's but I see nothing wrong letting lose and having fun which he certainly seemed to be doing on the Mo Bop stuff. I think it's nice to have both sides of Bona out there. He can do it all and nobody plays with as much passion and emotion as he does.