1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Smooooooth bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DubBeats CB, Nov 11, 2006.

1. What basses tone can be defined as smooth? I don't just mean no treble, but the treble pressence doesn't sound clicky. Its basically like when you slide you don't hear the frets, but its not a fretted bass.

CAn anyone think of a bass that fits this?

I'm thinking a passive bass with the tone knob rolled off. however, they tend to loosed definition from note to note with the tone rolled off.

I'm just trying to describe a buttery tone, and i can't find the bass that produces it.

What do you think?

2. P-bass with flats

3. Done it before, not what i was lookng for......

it get too thumpy and note definition is mediocre

4. I think it has a lot to do with how you play the bass. I can get a super smooth tone and a crazy aggressive one without even touching the settings on my Ibanez. For smooth, I lighten up my right hand attack and not press down quite as hard on the left hand.

5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i would say a jazz with heavier gauge rounds or slow wounds witht he treble rolled off. and maybe smaller frets as opposed to jumbo. the bass player from cake has the tone i imagine when i hear smooth and i believe this is his usual setup.

6. dwbentley

dwbentley

May 5, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    Ever play a Ken Smith? Cut most of the treble, cut some mids, slight bass boost = smooth.

7. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Pedulla Pentabuzz is the smoothest sounding bass I've ever heard.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021