Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smooth, brigth flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 43apples, Jun 6, 2005.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey guys, i've made the desicion to try some flatwounds on my Ibanez Fretless, since the rounds are tearing up the fretboard :bawl: .

First of all, i have some questions. Are you still able to get "Mwah" and "growl" with flatwounds? Would it make your sound very muddy and thuddy compared to roundwounds?

Thanks, now could you reccomend me a set of smoooth, brigth flats? I'm just buying one set, and i want it to last a long time, since a set of bass strings often costs $80 here :)

Thanks again,
    -Erlend

2. Hurezeanu

Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    I'm interested in an answer to this too... are there any nice, bright sounding flatwounds out there?

So far, I've had luck with the Dean Markley Flats, they tend to be very thumpy and somewhat bright for me,

but like you've said, I'm more interested in very growly, bright sounding flats...

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Yes ..try the Sadowsky flatwounds... very smooth and bright. Check Bass Players review of strings and the Sadowsky flats are as described...

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm, sorry but i can't get any strings out of the ordinary D'Addario's, Rotosounds and Fenders :(....

So, any other suggestions?

Thanks by the way ;)

5. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    D'Addario Chromes or GHS Brite Flats. I haven't tried either, but they're supposed to achieve your exact goal.

7. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm! D'Addario Cromes seems nice, are they crome plated? I suppose that crome plating would give a very slick feel and a brigther tone! :)

And also, i migth be able to get them! Interesting :)

Any opinions on the Cromes?

Thanks,
    -Erlend

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Hi Erlend! Remeber me? :p

I have a set of Ernie ball flats (50-105) at the moment and they are pretty bright. Best flats i have tried! I heard a clip from a TB player yesterday and he/she had TI jazz flats on there i belive fretless Ibanez, it sounded like the mwah you get from rounds! I'm getting a set of those when i get the big ol' check

9. How about halfwounds? Aren't they literally roundwounds with a flat outside? Meaning they've still got the roundwound core. Maybe that's just your ticket Erlend.

I think Rotosound make some.

10. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    BTB 1005 fretless, TI Jazz Flats( 12 months old), Recorded Direct to Sound card
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/billbernhardbassmusic.htm

Bill

11. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Yeah that's the clip! Nice sound i must say :cool:

12. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm, sounds a bit "thumpy" still... :).... nice tone by the way!