Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smooth Feel on a 6

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by boogiebass, Mar 26, 2001.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Since GHS does not make their Pressurewound strings in a 6 set, does anybody know of a smoother feeling 6 set that won't chew up the frets as bad as the standard, steel rounds we have to choose from? Willing to sacrifice a bit of brightness for a better feel on my Ken Smith 6. Thanks.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, you could switch to nickel strings...really nice, _to me_ anyway. d'addarrio slowounds are my fave nickels, and dean markley makes hybrid signature nickel steels which are nice as well, in my opinion...

3. Yep, Slowounds are the best I've found. BTW, I work in a music shop, so needless to say, I've tried a lot!

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Ken Smith makes a high C and low B Compressor
    (28 & 125, resp.) to augment their 4-string sets* .
    Compressors are pressure-wound Nickel/Irons.

*X-lite, Lite, Med-Lite, Med sets.

Alembic's got a 6-string set of their stainless,
    pressure-wound CX-3 series (CX-3/30LCB) .

Just Strings has the Alembic set for ~ $37.

(click on the bold, underlined stuff for more info :) )

(click on my sig for sh*ts `n giggles :p )

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You could always try a set of TI Jazz flats on the 6. I bet it'd sound great.

6. I've got a set of TI's for my 6 on order from sheetmusicplus.com, but I've been waiting for weeks, they dont seem to be able to get them at the moment. I'm currently using Slowounds, and have no complaint at all.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, since I posted this I discovered that GHS makes a .028 and .128 in their Pressurewound strings, available individually from juststrings.com. So combined with a set of M7200's, I'm in biz! Cool.

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Im using Ernie Balls 6-String Slinky 2838, I love the feeling of nickel wich is a smoother than the Stainless, they are also bright and seem to last very long.

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    If you can sacrifice some of the raw raspy sound of most round wounds you might want to consider a set of half rounds.

They are roundwounds that have been ground a bit to smooth them out. The feel nice and sound good .