Smooth Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Morningside, Dec 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Morningside

Morningside Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Seattle
    I'm looking for a smooth, warm, horn-like fuzz, particularly to use with my Pawn Shop Bass VI as a lead or semi-lead instrument. I'll be playing it over relatively clean guitars and a second clean bass. Some fuzz pedals seem to provide a spiky, aggressive, crumbling sound, which has its uses, but wouldn't fit my current needs.

One thing I don't necessarily need is a bass-specific pedal with a mix knob. Since I'm not currently planning to use this in a traditional bass role, I'm not too worried about incorporating a dry signal or losing low frequencies.

The perfect example of what I'm looking to achieve is the fuzz bass in the Beatles' "Think for Yourself."

Any suggestions? I'm a fuzz newbie, and while I've done enough research to get a sense of the basic options (most pedals seem to be modeled on the Tonebender, Big Muff or Fuzz Face), input here would be great. Thanks!

2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Wren & Cuff Tri Pie

Morningside and chenor like this.
  3. chenor

chenor

Sep 5, 2006
    NYC
    Tri pie creamy smooth muff based fuzz

Morningside likes this.
  4. shinybeast

shinybeast

Apr 1, 2014
    You might want to check out Oxfuzz as an alternative to muff-based pedals--either the bass version or the germanium version might suit your purposes.

Morningside likes this.
  5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth

If that is fuzz bass and not guitar (there is clean bass already behind it) than that sounds like an octave up kind of fuzz, like a Superfuzz or Brassmaster. They are typically harsh sounding pedals, but can be quite soft sounding at low gain and played into a tube amp into a cab without tweeters, or if you find a variant with tone shaping or even use an EQ pedal after it. Check out the Wounded Paw Attack Goat perhaps?

Otherwise I would recommend a smooth muff clone without a massive mid scoop (e.g. SolidgoldFX Imperial), or based on a germanium fuzz face like the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine.

Also be aware of how the demos were recorded when on your hunt - lots of demos are recorded direct and will make you think they sound harsh, when they will sound smoother when put through a miked up amp.

Morningside likes this.
  6. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    Given that you cited the Beatles, maybe this would ba a worthy try for the tone you want:
    The Crayon

It's supposed to emulate the kind of "straight to board" fuzz-distorsion found on songs like "Revolution".

I use a Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz and find it plenty creamy. Think The Black Keys' "lonely Boy" for reference.

Morningside likes this.
  7. I use a Joyo California Sound for smooth

Morningside likes this.
  8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I would agree that when I hear "smooth fuzz" I immediately think of a Muff variant. @Matt Dean is right that the Tri Pie is a good choice.

If you can find one, the Sonic IV Champion Fuzz is another great choice.

Morningside likes this.
  9. Rio Haride

Rio Haride

Mar 13, 2015
    Indonesia
    Joyo California is distortion pedal. I used to have one that have been sold to friend of mine.

It sounds like a fuzz because the pedal try to replicate Mesa Boogie Mark IV which has a ton of midrange. The fact Joyo California is my first pedal ever and at that time I can only play bass, I know this pedal very well.

What makes it smooth actually is the "Voice". I have a love-hate relationship with this knob :wacky: From my experience, it acts like a cab put in the water :cautious: and add more gain. It really adds a HULK punch to the mix :nailbiting: . For solo guitarist it's great (later on I can play guitar with simple leads). But for bass, IMO always, it can make your note undefined if you use it too much.

The EQ is pretty useless too IMO. Bass is too flabby when use in conjunction with Voice knob. Mids are okay, it's pretty neutral. Treble is very ear-piercing. I try to compensate the flabbiness of Voice knob by boosting treble knob but it didn't work for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Morningside likes this.
  10. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    I just got a Stomp Under Foot Rhinosaur (which quite sadly I need to sell now...) and I think it's VERY smooth. It can do synthy and nasal at the extremes, but with tone at 50% and fuzz at 50% it's just this even, uniform sound that sustains for days. If you crank the tone it'll thin out if you just want to serve the lead role. It's not a Muff or Brassmaster - it's based on the Colorsound bass fuzz I think.

Morningside likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    When I think smooth, I think Bass Fuzz Deluxe by MXR.

Morningside likes this.
  12. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Smooth fuzz for me is a swollen pickle with the filter knob somewhere ccw of 1 o'clock (exactly where depends where the other knobs are set)

Morningside likes this.
  13. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Smooth, but flexible: COG Effects Grand Tarkin. It nails the Civil War and Green Russian tones. It has a blend, it has a mids adjustment.

You might also want to look at the Stomp Under foot Civil war or civil unrest. The SGFX Imperial is also very smooth.